MS MONEY - transferr from PC running XP to PC running Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• hi ALL,

am running UK MS MONEY deluxe OEM edition versiom 12.0 on an HP desktop PC uder Windows XP -- NO PROBLEM

moving to an HP Laptop running Windows 7 

how do i get Money to migrate???   any ideas welcome

regards

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:09 AM

All replies

• UK Money 12.0 does not suffer from the well documented (on this forum) problems that face UK Money 2005 (14.0) users.

Therefore, re-installation of the product should work without any further problems.

However, be aware that the EULA for OEM licenses state that it can only be used on the original machine it was installed on.

Therefore, LEGALLY, you cannot move an OEM licence to a new machine as it is tied to the first machine.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:17 AM
  • If you wish to actually upgrade to a newer version then either,

a) Download US Sunset version or

b) Wait a few weeks for a possible UK Money 2005 (1105) version.

Whichever one you installed on the HP laptop, you would have to export your Money 2004 accounts from the desktop to QIF files and import them to the new version running on the laptop machine. 

This forum or the following link http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/28.aspx give details on the Export/Import process.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:29 AM
  • The US Sunset version will not read his UK file.

With an OEM version, he will not have an installation disk. Your "b" would be the thing to look at.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:48 AM
  • I know the US version will not read his UK file. That's why the instructions say that for EITHER option, he has to have exported the existing money file. My understanding was, an import of the QIF files into the US sunset version will be OK. The only requirement for the US version would be to set the currency type to GBP (sterling).

I seem to remember some very old OEM product shipments actually included the disks but it was a long time ago. I expect it hasn't been the case for years now.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:18 PM
  • I also had an OEM version of Money in the US that came on a  separate disk, from around that time, so the OP might actually has them.  Given that MS Money is essentially abandonware, I suspect that neither the MS Police nor one's conscience would consider the installation of an OEM copy of M2004 on a replacement computer a mortal sin. (Note I am neither a lawyer familiar with UK law, nor an ethicist or clergyman, but I do think that I am on safe ground suggesting that it is OK to install the OEM copy)

Edit to note: It seems like MS will soon issue a Sunset version of M2005 UK and International English (see thread on top) which will solve the OP's problem as it would convert his M2004 mny file to a working M2005 one.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:36 PM
  • I also had an OEM version of Money in the US that came on a  separate disk, from around that time, so the OP might actually has them.  Given that MS Money is essentially abandonware, I suspect that neither the MS Police nor one's conscience would consider the installation of an OEM copy of M2004 on a replacement computer a mortal sin. (Note I am neither a lawyer familiar with UK law, nor an ethicist or clergyman, but I do think that I am on safe ground suggesting that it is OK to install the OEM copy)

Edit to note: It seems like MS will soon issue a Sunset version of M2005 UK and International English (see thread on top) which will solve the OP's problem as it would convert his M2004 mny file to a working M2005 one.

Hi, not sure if what's being discussed here is related to the problems I am facing transferring MS Money 2004 running on an XP machine to my new PC running Windows 7. 

I can export the QIF files and import them to the new machine (all at the same time), but the trasnsactions don't all balance - some do and some don't.  If i then re-import the QIF files for the incorrect accounts it throws out other accounts and i end up with many transactions listed as "XFER to Deleted Account". 

Will an issue of a UK Sunset version allow me to read my M2004 .mny file directly?  When I try to read from the new machine I receive a message saying that the file needs to be converted and then another message informing me that Money can't find the file (and yes file path is ok / the permissions are all opened up / have tried running as an administrator).

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated as I've spent a whole weekend trying again and again with this and getting nowhere.  My only other option is to start from scratch on the new machine using opening balances which I know are correct, but then I lose all the historical data ...

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Hi Dominic, I've just checked the version that I've got running on XP and it's 14.0.120.1105.  I have the Money CD and am using the same one for both machines.  Any ideas?
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Dominic, just tried your link to Money 2005 UK -QFE2 and opens my .mny without any apparent issues.  Thank you VERY much ...
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

I have spent an age over the last weeks and days to get my Microsoft Money DeLuxe 14.0.120.1105   2004 (2005) installed on my new Windows 7 computer from Windows XP.   I have phoned help sources and paid for advice. Nothing helped until I returned to Dominic's knowledge on this forum.

Reading it properly - I realised that I could download from that link and amazingly I am now "cooking with gas".    Now the problem is, what does the future hold for people with all their financial past in this Money Programme?

Can't thank you enough.  On to the next transferring problem now!!!!!!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:08 AM