User has issue with Genuine Advantage program RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'd like the know the same answer but I am sure it will NEVER be straight forward!

This is the WORST forum I have EVER used.  There are no true answers to questions posted here.  All of the posters recommend downloading genuine or genuine diagnostics tools but don't give any answers on how do uninstall or block it.  HELLOOOO Microsoft... can't you hear us.  We want this (MIcrosoft Genuine Advantage) GONE!!

Just because I give you the right to AUTOMATICALLY update my computer doesn't mean you have the right to install GENUINE.

I am a teacher and work with MACS and now I will definitely purchase my next computer from APPLE.  This is just plain wrong.

Sincerely,
    Microsoft Sucks User
    • Split by JeniferA Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:33 PM Off topic of original thread
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:52 PM

All replies

• <Moderator comment: Threads apparently cannot be merged in this forum, so the rest of the conversation is copy/pasted here>

Microsoft sucks user  Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 4:03:51 am

Jenifer,
    You're missing the point.  We don't want it on our computer.  We  don't want it to pop up.  We don't want to install or run this program.  We don't want it to disable GENUINE programs by mistake.   We don't want it to make our computers sluggish.  We don't want it to paralyze programs.  PLEASE tell me how to STOP this without running or installing. 
    Sincerely,
    Microsoft Sucks User

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Dan at IT Associates  Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 8:19:58 pm

Hello Microsoft sucks user,

As much as you do not the Genuine Advantage Notification on your computer is as much as Microsoft does not want their pirated software on your computer.

The mgadiag utility assists the Microsoft helpers in this forum in determining if the notification that posting users are seeing is accurately displayed because there is indeed nongenuine software installed, or if the notification is wrong for some other reason.  If it is being displayed wrongly, then the helpers assist people in getting that fixed.

There is no Microsoft-approved method for removing the WGA Notifications Utility.

If you start over, you can avoid installing the utility.  Backup and offload your data, then do a clean installation from your CD.  TaDa, no WGA.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Microsoft sucks user Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:03:11 pm

Dan,

Your explanation why Microsoft has chosen to put WGA on my computer is totally inexcusable.  "Microsoft does not want their pirated software on my computer", that is a**uming that I would put it there in the first place.  I am a teacher and that's like me saying, "I'm going to give every student in my class meds for ADD because I know one or two needs it and I don't want students misbehaving in my classroom."  We all need to trust eachother, YES, even in 2009 trust should come first when we think about customers and students. 

There may be some people who break the law and use pirated software that does not mean everyone does.  Just because there may be one "bad egg" in my classroom that doesn't mean the whole room is ruined.  That student just needs extra attention to know what is wrong and why certain behavior hurts others.  Microsoft needs to spend time extra time dealing with specific people using pirated software and less time giving "meds-WGA" to people like me, people who don't use pirated software.

Still thinking...Microsoft Sucks!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:47 PM
  • JeniferA - MS MSFT  Tuesday, April 14, 2009 <time unknown>

Dear Microsoft sucks user,
    If pirated software is not being run on the computer, following the steps outlined above will help us to resolve the issue. The problem may be as simple as an unactivated copy of Windows or a mis-entered product key. Running the diagnostic is our way of assisting the "student [who] needs extra attention".

We understand that most people do not run pirated copies of Windows. There are many scenarios that can lead to notifications appearing on someone's computer even though they have a legal copy (For example: having a PC repair technician take a shortcut and reinstall using a product key other than the customer's key). That is why we make every effort to identify and assist customers in resolving the issue short of having them purchase new software. This is also why our messaging says "You MAY be a VICTIM of software piracy" (emphasis mine).

It is, unfortunately, also true that software piracy does exist. Many people are unwitting victims of counterfeiters, and purchase illegal copies of Microsoft (and other manufacturers) software. For individuals who believe they've been so victimized, we have a channel for them to report this and receive legal copies (see this link for more information).

Independant and commissioned studies have found that pirated software has a high incidence of viruses and trojan horses - some studies place this at as high as a 70% chance. Software piracy is used in identity theft and to fund other illegal activities. It is to all law-abiding citizens' benefit to curtail it.

Regards,
    Jenifer

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Dan at IT Associates, Tuesday, April 14, 2009 <time unknown>

Hello MSU,

You wrote:  "Your explanation why Microsoft has chosen to put WGA on my computer is totally inexcusable."

I did not attempt to explain why Microsoft has chosen to put WGA on your computer.  Look in the mirror and ask yourself why You have chosen to put WGA on Your computer.  You clicked Accept on an EULA, or you set the computer to download and install updates automatically.  That's how it got there.

Microsoft considers the WGA Validation and Notification Utilities to be important security updates because counterfeit software is a major source of malware that not only affects the user whose computer is infested, it also has the real potential to affect millions of other users on the internet--look up "botnet" on a search engine.  The WGA utilities help users discover if they are using counterfeit and pirated software, and helps them correct the situation.

Windows users who prefer not to have the WGA utilities installed should not set their computers to automatically install updates, screening them before installation, and should not try to avail themselves of WGA-gated content on the Microsoft downloads site.

If your computer has WGA installed and it is telling you that you have a problem, then you have several options:
    1.  Do nothing
    2.  Request help in the appropriate forum at this website (there are XP, Office, and Vista sub-forums); the mgadiag utility will help diagnose the actual problem
    3.  Do a clean installation of Windows, then do not install the WGA utilities
    4.  If indeed you have a pirated installation of Windows, rather than continuing to use pirated software, please consider using an alternative like Linux, or buy a Mac

Whatever you do, please STOP spamming the forum by placing identical irate messages in response to recent posts.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Microsoft sucks user  Tuesday, April 14, 2009 <time unknown>

Dan,
    I chose to have automatic updates for the sole purpose of getting Microsoft updates that would help my computer.  I feel Microsoft should have offered WGA as an option for people who were having issues with possible pirated merchandise.  I continue to strongly believe WGA is not for EVERY user just those with problems.  Therefore it shouldn't have been a part of an automatic download.  I have NEVER purchased any programs unless they were from a major computer type store (Best Buy, Office Max, etc.) so WGA doesn't apply to me or many other computer users I know (my mother, husband, mother-in-law, cousins, etc.) whom only purchase programs from BIG COMPUTER stores. 

As I continue to look in the mirror I see a person who has still not been given accurate information to solve my problem of removing or disabling WGA.  What would your suggestion be to get rid of the pop-ups?  The same directions as Jennifer?  Or real directions on how to actually disable WGA?

Microsoft Sucks User

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Dan at IT Associates  Tuesday, April 14, 2009 <time unknown>

MSU,

I posted this in my first response:  "There is no Microsoft-approved method for removing the WGA Notifications Utility.

If you start over, you can avoid installing the utility.  Backup and offload your data, then do a clean installation from your CD.  TaDa, no WGA."

I posted this in my second response:  "3.  Do a clean installation of Windows, then do not install the WGA utilities"

In order to not have WGA Validations and Notifications Utilities on a Windows installation that now has them, since there is no Microsoft-approved method for removal, you will have to backup your data, do a clean installation of Windows, then avoid installing both utilities.  If you set your Automatic Updates to automatically install updates, you will end up with WGA.  Choose any of the other two options for Automatic Updates so that you will be able to refuse the WGA utilities when they are offered by Windows Updates.

You wrote:  "I feel Microsoft should have offered WGA as an option for people who were having issues with possible pirated merchandise.  I continue to strongly believe WGA is not for EVERY user just those with problems.  Therefore it shouldn't have been a part of an automatic download."

If you take the time to read some of the thousands of posts here, you will see that the vast majority of people had no idea that their installations of Windows and/or Office were pirated or counterfeit until they were notified by WGA.  Following your logic, they STILL would not know they had a problem.  This is precisely why Micrsoft chose to classify WGA as an important security update.

Jennifer (a Microsoft employee) and I (a forum volunteer) have both explained why Microsoft developed WGA.

If you are being notified of a problem with nongenuine software, please take advantage of the fact that there are forums here to assist you with the issue.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Microsoft sucks user  Tuesday, April 14, 2009 <time unknown>

Dan,
    I do remember reading your earlier post to back-up and reinstall.  It seems to be a HUGE effort and I can't see my mother-in-law knowing what exactly that means if they run across this same issue.  I continued posting in order to find an easier solution in order to pass it on to her or others who might have the same problem.  My diligence failed.

In reply to your statement,  If you take the time to read some of the thousands of posts here, you will see that the vast majority of people had no idea that their installations of Windows and/or Office were pirated or counterfeit.  Following your logic, they STILL would not know they had a problem.  This is precisely why Micrsoft chose to classify WGA as an important security update." 

I have read many posts by people with issues.  Issues with WGA interferring with DRM, inaccurate WGA diagnosis, slowing computers down, etc..  I am not sure where they are finding answers to their problems since I just see, "run the diagnostic program and copy the report".  Maybe they are getting individualized help without other posters knowing the final result.  It would be nice to see results to problems.  It would be nice to know if the help actually worked.

I do not want to have any of these issues.  I specifically do not download or install any programs without purchasing it from appropriate BIG ticket stores. 

I guess some of those people posting would have been happier and had less problems if they wouldn't have had WGA. 

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Good day.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:54 PM
  • i agree with microsoft sucks user. i mean with a population of 6 billion in this world some of us cant afford to pay $149 for genuine software. I bought this computer with genuine software but it got a virus and i had to format it. then came the credit crunch and we lost money. I had to get my computer going but i couldnt afford a genuine windows so i had to buy a ungeuine one. it went good for a while untill my sister was on the computer and ,not knowing wat it was, installed the WGA software. Than i went to remove it in add or remove programs and all it said was this software cant be removed. i agree with microsoft because they need money too and i wouldnt like my software to get pirated but theres some of us who cant afford geuine software. now everytime i do the computer it keeps reminding me and dosnt let me have a desktop wallpaper. Please remove this or let us delete the update.

regards,
                                                              Mahad
    Friday, May 8, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Hello ilikemicrosoftbutthisisunacceptable,

There are FREE operating systems whose fans claim they are every bit as good as Microsoft Windows.  I have heard that Ubuntu Linux is a very friendly, easy to use edition of the Linux family of OSs.

May I suggest that you download one of the free edtions of Linux and burn to CD, back up your data, then repartition and reformat your computer thereby romving the pirated Windows software, then install the FREE operating system?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:43 AM
  • where can i download these free operating systems???
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:05 PM