TrueCrypt Volume RRS feed

• Question

• I have a truecrypt volume on my desktop and laptop.

I added a folder from the volume into mesh on my desktop.

Then I goto my laptop, started mesh, mounted my volume and pointed the mesh folder to the truecrypt volume.

After everything is finished, I dismounted both volumes.

Now mesh thinks I don't have that folder anymore and asks me if I want to sync.

Any workarounds?
    Friday, May 16, 2008 1:04 AM

Answers

• [With the caveat that I've never used TrueCrypt before..]

When the Live Mesh client detects that a Live Mesh Folder is no longer where it expects it today, it will assume that the Folder has been unmapped, or "no longer synchronized" with this device, and place a "ghosted" shortcut representing that Folder on the Desktop.  If you double click that shortcut, you get the dialog that asks you if you would like to synchronize that Folder on this device.  (I believe that's what you're hitting?)

You can safely delete this shortcut on the Desktop without any side effects.

As long as you waited long enough for your data to get synchronized up to the cloud (and you're under quota), you can safely unmap/stop synchronzing a Live Folder on all your devices if you wish, because all the data will have been synchronized to the cloud/Live Desktop.

Hope that helps,
    Richard
    Friday, May 16, 2008 4:58 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• [With the caveat that I've never used TrueCrypt before..]

When the Live Mesh client detects that a Live Mesh Folder is no longer where it expects it today, it will assume that the Folder has been unmapped, or "no longer synchronized" with this device, and place a "ghosted" shortcut representing that Folder on the Desktop.  If you double click that shortcut, you get the dialog that asks you if you would like to synchronize that Folder on this device.  (I believe that's what you're hitting?)

You can safely delete this shortcut on the Desktop without any side effects.

As long as you waited long enough for your data to get synchronized up to the cloud (and you're under quota), you can safely unmap/stop synchronzing a Live Folder on all your devices if you wish, because all the data will have been synchronized to the cloud/Live Desktop.

Hope that helps,
    Richard
    Friday, May 16, 2008 4:58 PM
    Answerer
  • For discussion purposes I think we can say that a Trucrypt volume == Unencrypted USB Drive. =)

The ghosted shortcut is the behavior I'm getting, but I'm not looking to un-associate the folder from mesh, if I interpreted your reply correctly.

It seems like, to me anyways, mesh should have the ability to see that a particular location is back.  Or even not bother placing the link on the desktop in the first place.  Or have the ability to specify "this is a removable drive" during the initial sync.

Its a major pain to have to mount the volume, then double click the shortcut and then specify the original location and then click yes to re-merge.  Since a truecrypt volume gets un-mounted every time the laptop goes to sleep.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Yes, the experience isn't the greatest today when dealing with temporal synchronized locations, like USB keys.  This is exactly one reason we don't allow synchronizing to removable drives today.  As a workaround, you can re-merge, as you describe.

Of course, one of the features we will be working on in the future is removable devices.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 10:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Is there anything like a roadmap where users can see if or if not the desired funktionality will be implemented in near future?
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 10:50 PM
  • This is probably the wrong thread and should be moved, but no there is no public roadmap but a lot of information has been released on these forums and on the official Live Mesh Blog.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:26 AM