OneCare and Microsoft updates someone Please clarify. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Evening to all.

i am thinking to switch to Onecare,after reading a lot i got confused and some points are not clear,

1- i prefer not to download the windows automatic updates as they are endless and sometimes you get unexplained behaviour of system apart from increasing your bill. 

My qustion if I disable automatic updates (of windows Xp and vista) will Onecare be able to update itself or not.

2- This qustion relates to pricing prsently it is being offred as appx. $50 for three Pcs for one year, after expiry of subscrition if a person renews it will it renew all 3 pcs or he has to purchase three separete  lincenses.i.e. next year he has to pay 3X $50 = $150

I request reply from some users who are using it for appx. More than a year,

one more thing there  is a lot of rumors on net that oneCare detects , But cant get rid of viruses instead gets corrupted.

somebody please throw light on it

Thanks everbody.

Adi

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hello, Adi.

1. OneCare requires that Automatic Updates be configured to download and install automatically or your system will be reported as being at risk and not in Green status. If you disable AU, OneCare will continue to update, but it will complain about your security status.

2. OneCare is priced at $50 US for up to 3 PCs for 12 months. That is the retail "list" subscription price. You can often find OneCare for less from a retailer. Pricing varies by country/region, so the actual price may not be $50 US. If you choose to renew the subscription, it will be renewed for up to 3 PCs on that same subscription.

You didn't number your last question, but I'll simply respond that no security software is 100% effective. I am running OneCare on multiple machines. The testimony about its effectiveness is with my wife's machine, though. She has been using it for almost 2 years and has had no infections of spyware or viruses since we installed it on the PC and she's quite pleased with its performance.

-steve

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hello, Adi.

1. OneCare requires that Automatic Updates be configured to download and install automatically or your system will be reported as being at risk and not in Green status. If you disable AU, OneCare will continue to update, but it will complain about your security status.

2. OneCare is priced at $50 US for up to 3 PCs for 12 months. That is the retail "list" subscription price. You can often find OneCare for less from a retailer. Pricing varies by country/region, so the actual price may not be $50 US. If you choose to renew the subscription, it will be renewed for up to 3 PCs on that same subscription.

You didn't number your last question, but I'll simply respond that no security software is 100% effective. I am running OneCare on multiple machines. The testimony about its effectiveness is with my wife's machine, though. She has been using it for almost 2 years and has had no infections of spyware or viruses since we installed it on the PC and she's quite pleased with its performance.

-steve

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Thank you steve for clarifying my doubts.

Thanks

Adi

Saturday, September 6, 2008 11:54 AM