Store files directly on server or not? RRS feed

• Question

• After reading some more and pondering this a bit, what is the intended purpose of WHS?  Is it to back up the data that is currently on all of your computers, or is it intended to be used as a central file repository...or both?  The reason I ask has to do partly with discussion about some files not playing well with WHS...namely PST and database-type files.  I'm not a network guy, but I work with the data on network drives all the time and they don't seem to have these shortcomings.  So, is WHS really meant to back up what you already have, or is it okay to use it as the primary storage pot?  I have taken all of my photos and music files and placed them onto WHS...is this as intended or should I move them back to each PC and let WHS back them up?  I think the answer will be "both" but I would like to hear a bit about what it was REALLY intended for as well as what it CAN do.  Thanks.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:40 PM

Answers

• My usage is both...

I have a rather large digital photo archive that is on my wife's XP Pro desktop which is backed up each night to the WHS. I also have another copy of the same photo archive in a publicly accessible folder on the WHS so remote access users, ie. my brother in Florida for example, or Guest users on my network can access them. Of course I limit permissions to read only in the case of my photo archive. Other public folders on the WHS have full access for my brother and Guests, ie. they are used so folks can upload/download files.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:54 PM
  • Both for me. I have a large music collection, a large photo collection and a growing video collectoin, all new music, photos and video are saved directly to the server to be accessible from any PC on the network.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:52 PM
  • The same, we now keep all our photos/videos etc on the server, plus, have now transferred all our public documents to a folder under Public whilst transferring personal documents to our Users shares. - All appear to be happy up till now.

Colin

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:05 PM
  • I do both:
    • I have a large photo store which I keep on WHS.
    • I have a software repository which I keep there too (mostly as CD/DVD .isos), because I actually might need some of that software again, or might be planning to install it on another PC in the future.
    • I have a very large iTunes library; I maintain it on my home office PC, but keep a copy on WHS for Firefly to serve throughout the house.
    • I have a small but growing library of DVD .iso files, which I store on WHS.
    • All the data that's unique to a single PC, and that isn't generally useful everywhere in the house, is backed up to WHS. That includes games, game saves, individual music libraries, etc.
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Exactly the same here plus Sharepoint (on an external drive of course).

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:32 PM

All replies

• My usage is both...

I have a rather large digital photo archive that is on my wife's XP Pro desktop which is backed up each night to the WHS. I also have another copy of the same photo archive in a publicly accessible folder on the WHS so remote access users, ie. my brother in Florida for example, or Guest users on my network can access them. Of course I limit permissions to read only in the case of my photo archive. Other public folders on the WHS have full access for my brother and Guests, ie. they are used so folks can upload/download files.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:54 PM
  • Both for me. I have a large music collection, a large photo collection and a growing video collectoin, all new music, photos and video are saved directly to the server to be accessible from any PC on the network.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:52 PM
  • The same, we now keep all our photos/videos etc on the server, plus, have now transferred all our public documents to a folder under Public whilst transferring personal documents to our Users shares. - All appear to be happy up till now.

Colin

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:05 PM
  • I do both:
    • I have a large photo store which I keep on WHS.
    • I have a software repository which I keep there too (mostly as CD/DVD .isos), because I actually might need some of that software again, or might be planning to install it on another PC in the future.
    • I have a very large iTunes library; I maintain it on my home office PC, but keep a copy on WHS for Firefly to serve throughout the house.
    • I have a small but growing library of DVD .iso files, which I store on WHS.
    • All the data that's unique to a single PC, and that isn't generally useful everywhere in the house, is backed up to WHS. That includes games, game saves, individual music libraries, etc.
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Exactly the same here plus Sharepoint (on an external drive of course).

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:32 PM