Anyone running RAID on a WHS CLIENT? RRS feed

Answers

• WHS doesn't care if your client volumes are on a RAID array or not. As long as the appropriate drivers are in place (as they must be for you to use the system) you can back up your workstations. I have what you refer to as fakeraid on my workstation at home, for example (Intel ICH8R chipset, 3 disk RAID 5 array) and it backs up and restores just fine. (BTW, real world performance is pretty good even on writes: typically over 20 MB/s with ~5% CPU loads.)

What you're describing in your other post doesn't sound like an issue with your RAID configuration. It sounds like an issue with networking. I can't tell you what exactly is wrong: it could be your switch, something different about how you have your NIC parameters set on one machine, flaky NIC, etc. But I don't think it's your storage subsystem that's at the root of your problems.

Have you submitted a bug report (you'll have to submit it as a suggestion) on Connect? Those get reviewed regularly by Microsoft.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:28 PM
  • One of my workstations is utilizing RAID0 and backups up just fine (thankfully!).

Quentin Stephens wrote:

In this thread http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2926854&SiteID=50 I detail my woes trying to get WHS to back up my workstations. I've spent a week on this. and am rather frustrated.

Now, I'm wondering if the fact that they both use software RAID 1 mirrors might have something to do with it. So, does anyone here have a workstation with RAID that gets backed up to a WHS?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:37 PM

All replies

• WHS doesn't care if your client volumes are on a RAID array or not. As long as the appropriate drivers are in place (as they must be for you to use the system) you can back up your workstations. I have what you refer to as fakeraid on my workstation at home, for example (Intel ICH8R chipset, 3 disk RAID 5 array) and it backs up and restores just fine. (BTW, real world performance is pretty good even on writes: typically over 20 MB/s with ~5% CPU loads.)

What you're describing in your other post doesn't sound like an issue with your RAID configuration. It sounds like an issue with networking. I can't tell you what exactly is wrong: it could be your switch, something different about how you have your NIC parameters set on one machine, flaky NIC, etc. But I don't think it's your storage subsystem that's at the root of your problems.

Have you submitted a bug report (you'll have to submit it as a suggestion) on Connect? Those get reviewed regularly by Microsoft.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:28 PM
  •  

Thanks, but I've just updated the other thread to note that without the RAID card my XP box backed up just fine. I dug out an old 20 GB  drive and stuck a new copy of XP on it and the connector and it backed up perfectly. So while it's by no means definitive, local RAID may be an issue.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:46 PM
  • One of my workstations is utilizing RAID0 and backups up just fine (thankfully!).

Quentin Stephens wrote:

In this thread http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2926854&SiteID=50 I detail my woes trying to get WHS to back up my workstations. I've spent a week on this. and am rather frustrated.

Now, I'm wondering if the fact that they both use software RAID 1 mirrors might have something to do with it. So, does anyone here have a workstation with RAID that gets backed up to a WHS?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:37 PM
  •  

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that's another red herring.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:43 PM
  • I also have two Clients, both with Raid 0, (they were both Raid 1 prior to WHS,) and they both backup and both have been re-installed from those backups.

Colin

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Quentin, RAID itself is not the issue. There are probably dozens of people here who back up RAID-equipped PCs regularly. If you've pulled the RAID adapter and the client backed up, try reinstalling the RAID adapter without the drivers. See if the client will still back up. Then try loading the drivers.

What's the make/model of the RAID adapter?
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 9:50 PM
  • > There are probably dozens of people here who back up RAID-equipped PCs regularly.

So I see. That's good news because I prefer local RAID 1.

> What's the make/model of the RAID adapter?

On the XP box it's an Adaptec 1210; the Vista box uses the motherboard SiS chipset.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 9:59 PM
  •  Quentin,

I'm running Dell SATA Cerc's in my workstations which are essentially the same cards and they work like a champ.    Backup go's great although the cards seem a little slow.

Thanks

Joe

Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:04 PM