How to identify the translation-record of specific label like a list header or ...? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

the exported translation Excel-Sheet messed me up!
    Someone changed the labels of several form in the form, not the attributes name, only the form label.

Later the translations have been edited by exporting the translation.xml. Now, the translations at the form, at header of a list view and the columns in the advanced search column picker are sometimes different. Some of these differences are wanted, but has to be changed.
    Now, for example there are up to 5 "other phone" labels.

How could I identify which is the right label-translation, I want to change? Is there any chance to identify the translation-record by the "Object ID" (translation.xml)?

Does anybody have a hint for me?

Thanx in advance!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 9:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• I know that each field in a form has its own ID. You can find it by exporting the customizations and look into the FormXml tag on each entity. I'm pretty sure that this ID is used on the translation.xml file
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com
    You will find:
    Bulk Delete LauncherView Layout replicator
    ISV.Config Manager Form Javascript Manager
    Assembly RecoveryAnd others (use tool tag on my blog)
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 9:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 9:14 AM
  • sounds interesting, but the website doesn't open to me...!?
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 9:44 AM
  • sounds interesting, but the website doesn't open to me...!?

...okay, finally I could open it...

There is no new information for me that could help!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Sorry but there is no correlation to FormXml tag. I can find different IDs but the translation.xml does't have correlating records!
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Check out the MetadataSchema.LocalizedLabel table in the CRM database and match the ObjectId to the MetadataSchema.Attribute table attributeid.
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Okay,

it seems to be like this:

Column headers and advanced search column picker are identical to attributes names. If you keep attribute names equal to the form labels, you will have just one transaltion record for each attribute!

If you have to change form labels diffrent to the attribute name, as in my case, there is an other (2nd) record.
    I managed this by setting the form lable special (e.g. I added an (F) for 'form'. I guessed, that there would be no label with an (F), so I could find it easily with Excel in the translation.xml).
    Now I changed the (F) form label to the wanted one.

Backwards, identify the Excel record to the related form/attribute is much more difficult!
    Even with your hint about the MetadateSchema it seems as it is a long detour.

So, I suggest to change the form lable to the attribute name, hopefully they sync. And start from the beginning!
    I have to admit, I didn't try this so far... perhaps I've time next days...

However, thank you very much for your help!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:12 PM