FIX: OneCare Stalled Explorer.exe (Black screen and cursor) on Vista Home Premium RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am writing this as a helper since I spent the past two weeks on this issue. 

Back on June 9th, 2008 my HP laptop running Vista Home Premium began to stall after logging in with a black screen and only a cursor to show for it.  The HD did not have any activity while it waited either.  I tried everything in the book to get it fixed.  I found one 'workaround' to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and get into Task Manager to kill explorer.exe, then restart it.  This trick got me my Desktop, but Vista was still severely hindered as when I tried to start any service it gave me "Access Denied" or if I tried to open up anything (Control Panel, My Computer, My Documents, ...) it would stall.  So one step forward, two steps back. I booted into Save Mode, which functions correctly, but I am unable to install or more important uninstall whatever messed up my laptop.  I try to do a system restore, use last known good settings, registry cleaner, turn off services from starting up...all did not help.  I was getting ready to nuke the Vista and start over but finally I had a break through last night, using MSCONFIG was able to choose the the Diagnostic Startup option and I was able to boot into Windows Vista "normally".  I did not have all the bells and whistles running at this point, but at least I could boot into Windows without having to go into safe mode.  I was then able get into the Vista version of Add/Remove programs and find out that on the date that I started having issues, Windows Live One Care had an update.  I proceeded to look at the Event Viewer and see that there was an error with the download for the update that day.  I then uninstalled One Care, rebooted, and there was much rejoicing!  I have defeated Vista and Microsoft, woohoo!

Has anyone else had issues with One Care and Vista Home Premium?  I have it installed on two other computers with Windows XP SP2 (one laptop and one desktop) and have not seen any issues.

Pass this along to all your friends to use MSCONFIG and Diagnostic Startup
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 5:44 PM

All replies

• What you are describing is a classic case of a conflict with some other low level service or program that running the diagnostic startup allowed you to bypass. I would be interested to know what that conflict was. It can happen if another security program doing "process watching" is running (or trying to run) with OneCare.

I had a problem with a serious conflict with OneCare a little over a month ago that was caused by an older version of True Image Home, which installs and executes a service and apparently modifies the boot sector of the system drive in some way. Once OneCare updated, the disk became unreadable and unusable as a system drive. I was able to put an older disk image back and replicate the problem by letting OneCare update again.

So, I'm glad that you resolved your  PC issue, but without knowing what else is running on the PC, we don't know what might have caused it.

-steve

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 6:03 PM
  • This is exactly what is happening to my laptop right now. I have been thinking it had something to do with onecare but I can not get onecare to uninstall....
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 5:46 AM
  • When you say you can"t get One Care to uninstall do you get an error message during uninstall or do you not see One Care listed in programs and features?
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:27 PM
  • This is exactly what is happening to my laptop right now. I have been thinking it had something to do with onecare but I can not get onecare to uninstall....
    Try the  OneCare Cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

If that does not help, contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:06 PM