Migrating Data from WHS v1 to WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Just got a new WHS 2011 system. I want to move all my data from the WHS v1 to WHS 2011. Can I use the backup from WHS v1 to restore my data? Second question, how can I move all my client PC backups from WHS v1 to WHS 2011? i have several backups from client machines I no longer run, but want to keep that image?

Thanks

Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:13 PM

Answers

• The backup database (client PC backups) is not compatible between the two versions of Windows Home Server. Moving the data from your shares is relatively easy, however. You will need to connect the backup disk from your V1 server to some computer on your network, then you will copy from the most recent backup on that disk to the new server's shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by kmoskalOhio Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:26 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:07 PM

All replies

• The backup database (client PC backups) is not compatible between the two versions of Windows Home Server. Moving the data from your shares is relatively easy, however. You will need to connect the backup disk from your V1 server to some computer on your network, then you will copy from the most recent backup on that disk to the new server's shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by kmoskalOhio Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:26 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:07 PM
  • I want to thank you for your quick response. It's a bummer that the Microsoft is making a consumer product that is this difficult to upgrade too.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:29 PM