COM Surrogate Seeks Access through Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

OneCare's firewall alerted me that COM Surrogate was seeking access through the firewall.  Not knowing what COM Surrogate was, I blocked it.  I have since received more requests for access.

I Googled COM Surrogate (CS) and found a 2007 article by Dale Preston regarding Vista, OneCare and CS. (http://www.dalepreston.com/Blog/2007/03/what-is-com-surrogate.html)

Unfortunately, I continue to be unsure whether to allow CS access or not.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with the initial request for access, but at the time I was attempting to upload an avatar to Justintv's website.

Further information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Camiele
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• COM Surrogate is safe to allow. This is a better explanation - http://www.google.com/search?q=com+surrogate&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    • Marked as answer by Camiele Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Hello Jim,

I must admit I am completely satisfied with OneCare.  Not only for its reliability but also for the excellent support. 

You and Stephen have always provided me with prompt and helpful responses and for this I am grateful.  As someone who learned what little she knows about using a computer from reading the forums and asking questions, every alert/popup is viewed as a pending tragedy.  As such, every second counts while waiting for assistance!  For me, in this forum, assistance is always in a timely, helpful and thoughtful manner.  I wish I could ask all of my computing questions here.

I read the above entries in Googled, however COM Surrogate did not stop working nor do I use DivX or Nero.  I only use the Flash player.  Neither have I ever installed codecs. In fact, the link you provided is the same as the one I provided.

As always, thank you for your assistance.

Continued blessings,

Camiele
    • Edited by Camiele Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:09 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:00 PM
  • I'm glad we could help Camiele, and thank you for the kind words.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:12 PM