WHS network speed drops during file transfer. RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having trouble with slow file transfers, so I got a usb wireless n adapter to try. My server is connected at 270 Mbps, but when I start to transfer a file from my laptop, connected at 130-170Mbps, the server always drops to 81 Mbps. The transfer speeds are always under 5 Mbps. File duplication is off. My laptop is running windows 7, my router is a rosewill rnx easy n4, the wireless adapter is a dlink dwa-130.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:42 PM

Answers

• USB speeds will not reach the max rating. So that may drop what you're expending to transfer.

Are you saying your server is using a wireless adapter too?
    More likely is the wireless is getting saturated due to the amount of traffic and throttling down. This really is to be expected with more traffic and collisions.

Personally my wireless-N never sustains anything above 3 MB/s
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:08 AM

All replies

• USB speeds will not reach the max rating. So that may drop what you're expending to transfer.

Are you saying your server is using a wireless adapter too?
    More likely is the wireless is getting saturated due to the amount of traffic and throttling down. This really is to be expected with more traffic and collisions.

Personally my wireless-N never sustains anything above 3 MB/s
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:08 AM
  • I got the n adapter for my server because I was having the same slow transfers over lan. It's just now that I noticed my actual connection speed lowered, I'll see if it does the same over lan. Also my laptop has a built in card, not usb. After some more testing, it seems to be my laptop's internal wireless that is the problem. When I use the usb adapter instead of the internal, I can get 8-9 mbps. Now I'm off to those forums, wish me luck.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:18 PM