installing Office XP professional version 2002 into Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I want to instal my copy of Office XP pro 2002 onto my new portable,  a Sony Vaio running Vista. How do I go about this?

( I have the original Cd's, PID etc )

I do not want to trial the 2007 version included on the machine - just to instal my old original copy.

I've been told that this should be possible...

Thank you,

J Lewis

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:31 PM

Answers

• You'll need to uninstall the trial version of Office 2007 before installing Office XP.  Then visit the Microsoft Update web site to download the latest Office XP service pack and updates.

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:53 PM

All replies

• You'll need to uninstall the trial version of Office 2007 before installing Office XP.  Then visit the Microsoft Update web site to download the latest Office XP service pack and updates.

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Thanks for that.

Yes I was able to instal and update it... but ( there's always a 'but, huh? ) now when I try to open a word doc etc I get asked to insert the original cd as it needs to ' instal a word feature'. Then a window opens to instal an .exe file from the cd. ( can't see which file it requires)

Then the programme works fine with differing files until I shut-down my portable.

Next day ... same prob!

Any ideas would be appreciated, please.

J

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:51 AM
  • I too am looking to install Offfice XP Professional 2002 onto my new laptop running Vista. Sounds like you were able to get a 90% solution.

Were you able to solve this last problem with being asked to insert the original CD?

V
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:48 AM
  •  

No, not yet.... I'm hoping that the 2nd poster might have some more answers for me. I'd prefer to keep my Office XP but if I can't solve the problem then I guess I'll switch to "Open Office" - that's a free software suite that works ok with excel, word etc....

cheers,

Basserterre

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:37 AM
  • The thing that I'm asked to instal from the Office XP disc is "PRORET.MSI"...? Then the programe works - until I shut down my portable: then the next time I start up excel etc I get the same message again and have to repeat the same process. ( insert disc, instal PRORET.MSI etc )

It's annoying... a solution would be nice!

Basseterre

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:40 AM
  • Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down
    to Item No. 171 (right column) and click on "Office XP 1706 - ProPlus.MSI Fix".

Also see:

You receive an "Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files," error message:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298021/en-us

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:42 PM
  • I'll give it a try.... if I lose the will to live in the meantime then I'll let you know!  

Basse Terre

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:22 PM
  • Well, I tried. So now it's time to 'Pass the Razor Blade' and I'll just bare my wrists and start slashing  

No, the advice given above didn't seem to work.... The new registry entries etc.

Same message yet again.

Any other ideas, please????????

Basse Terre

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Hello basseterre,
    still alive ?

PRORET.MSI is the Windows Installer .MSI package file name on the installation CD-ROM (see http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B290134), indicating that you use a Retail edition of Office(XP/2002). You cannot find it as a file on your harddisk after installation. But there must exist an appropriate registry key (see above
    mentioned KB-article) to enable correct function. For safety reasons Vista uses a "virtual" registry location for that key, which is unknown to old Office XP. It might help to copy this registration key to the expected "old" place. I did it with an other program, and it worked fine.

1. Start REGEDIT,
    2. Search for "PRORET.MSI" (let REGEDIT do that job for you !),
    3. Export found "virtual" key (starting with 32 Byte-GUID) to "office.reg",
    4. Open "office.reg" with NOTEPAD
    5. Change all key- / subkey paths to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\..."
    6. Check for faults, store "office.reg" and then double-click on it.

Note : You do it at your own risk, registry changes are potentially critical !

Good luck !
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 11:25 PM