Is the Vail Firewall strong enough to be exposed directly to the internet? RRS feed

• Question

• What risks do I create by pluging Vail directly into my cable modem?
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 6:50 PM

Answers

• Vail is running the same version of Windows Firewall that Windows Server 2008 R2 uses.

That said, you're creating the usual risk: greater surface area for malefactors to attempt to penetrate, fewer layers of pretection between the data on your server and the world at large, etc.

Note that Vail is not designed to act as a router; using it as such is unsupported and not recommended.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:29 PM

All replies

• Vail is running the same version of Windows Firewall that Windows Server 2008 R2 uses.

That said, you're creating the usual risk: greater surface area for malefactors to attempt to penetrate, fewer layers of pretection between the data on your server and the world at large, etc.

Note that Vail is not designed to act as a router; using it as such is unsupported and not recommended.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 7:29 PM
  • I would not do it there are people scanning for windows boxes, looking for unpatched vulnerabilities.  A router will provide a decent layer of protection from such hackers. 
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:06 PM
  • It’s not recommended, but having said that, the Windows Firewall if configured correctly, should be sufficiently strong enough to protect a single box on the Internet.  Make sure things are LOCKED DOWN in your public firewall profile though.

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    "komondor" wrote in message news:f2ef1890-5c6b-4f84-9b6e-819b42043c07...
    I would not do it there are people scanning for windows boxes, looking for unpatched vulnerabilities.  A router will provide a decent layer of protection from such hackers.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:32 PM
  •  

If you were going to put it directly on the internet ideally you'd have 2 NICs, one on your internal network and the other on the external.

If you've only got one NIC I'd suggest mapping HTTPS from your router through to your server. 

Cheers

Ray

Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:41 PM