What type of Router RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am looking to buy an 8 port router, but I am not sure as to what type my server will support, I have an HP Media Smart server.  I am using TZO as the domain provider.

I had a Linksys WRT150N 4 port router and It wasn't supported by TZO, I am currently using a Linksys WRT54G router now, and need to add more ports.

But I do not want to add a second router from the first with a different subnet.  Any help would be great. Thanks

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 4:31 AM

All replies

• iat home i used a trendnet tew-633gr and a trendnet teg-s8 switch for more ports. the trendnet is server 2003 compatible everything worked perfect with no problems and WHS set everything up. at another place they didnt need wireless so i just put in a trendnet 8 port switch.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 4:46 AM
  • You could just add a switch - I have a Linksys WRT54G and two switches connected to it.  I have never had to worry about playing around with subnets.  You can get 8 port Gigabit switches for a decent price - I am not sure if most of the routers are gigabit speed or not.  Having a gigabit switch and attaching all PCs with gigabit cards to that switch should speed up file transfers on your LAN.  Attach all PCs to your switch and then you attach the switch onto a port on the router.  All internal LAN traffic will then never even have to get to your router - it will just cross through the switch.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 8:26 PM
  • There is another option, you could look into 3rd party firmware for you router, which do support tzo.  I know DD-WRT works very well, and you could use the firmware on both and use a wireless bridge to connect them.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:40 PM
  • Another option is to wait a little bit for more domain providers for the WHS Console either through the official channels (like TZO) or third party developers.

I’m currently working on a general article on how to build one for an upcoming WHS Dev Tip... although I can’t guarantee when it will be done and available).

Friday, January 4, 2008 3:00 AM