Windows XP Validation Keeps Timing out and I cannot Begin The Validation Process RRS feed

• Question

• I took my computer to a certified TOSHIBA repair center to get it fixed and the had to re-format my HD.  They installed a copy of Windows onto my disk and replaced the MB and screen.  I bring it home to Validate XP to get SP2 and I cannot get the validation link to really connect to the server.,  What I mean is, I inout all the information, my key etc, and hit submit the little bar starts moving along the bottom like its connecting but in truth DONE pops up in IE lower left corner way before the bar stops and before I get this error:

A network error or timeout has occurred while processing your request. Please try again later

Clearly there is something wrong with the connection. but so far I cannot find anything anywhere indicating a solution.

Can ANYONE please help me.

Just for giggles, I ran the diagnostic and heres what it gave back...and I dont understand much of it. 

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8
    Windows Product Key Hash: RVvFciZMdQfJLyDpZteolhaqicQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0000356-23414
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {68228F70-0191-4BB3-895B-C68BF0E7B104}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-470-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{68228F70-0191-4BB3-895B-C68BF0E7B104}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2B7Q8</PKey><PID>55274-640-0000356-23414</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1644491937-813497703-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Tecra A4</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Version>Version 1.70</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051014******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>2DB03E07018400E2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:07 PM

Answers

• R2epsm,

Right now, your Toshiba Tecra  computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the VLK that is shown by the report, "YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8", you will see that many, many other posters have reported their computers are using the same VLK.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Next, please look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  In your case we would expect "Toshiba."

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

The solution to your problem should have been simple, and should have been taken care of by the authorized Toshiba repair facility.  The solution would have been to use the recovery solution supplied with the computer (often this will be one or more Recovery CDs/DVDs, or perhaps a hidden recovery partition accessed at startup using a special keystroke combination) by Toshiba to replace the nongenuine volume installation of XP Pro with the genuine OEM installation of Windows.  The Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer will tell you which edition of XP came with the computer.  If it did come with XP Pro, you can use the Key Updater Utility to "genuine-ize" your installation of XP Pro.

Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

Assuming that the computer was delivered by you with the original installation of XP OEM, unfortunately, it seems that the repair facility used a downloaded "bench" copy of XP Pro to do the reinstallation of XP.

If this happened to me, I would be screaming at the owner or manager of the repair facility, AND I would immediately report the facility to the Toshiba field representative who is responsible for monitoring the facility.  I would be demanding that they BOTH refund the money that I paid them to reinstall XP, and I would be demanding that they CORRECTLY install the PROPER Toshiba OEM license for XP onto my computer FOR FREE, AND I would report the incident to the Microsoft software piracy website www.microsoft.com/piracy.

The reason for my flying off the handle at them is because Toshiba, while they do make a nice laptop that I do recommend to many customers, unlike most manufacturers, they DO NOT provide proper support to their customers who have lost or misplaced their Recovery CDs.  Instead they have you send the computer back to one of their repair facilities so that the OS can be reinstalled, which is a huge PITA.  Knowing what a hassle that is, I would have gone balllistic if I had found out that after all that hassle, their repair center DOPES installed a pirated copy of XP.  ARRRGH!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:59 PM