Microsoft Money Plus won't recognize password RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to access my Microsoft Money Plus files from 2011. It will not recognize my password that I use for my live account.  I need this for a tax audit.  I am clueless how to fix this.  I tried to reset the password but it still does not accept the
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:10 PM

Answers

• The version of Money 2005 on your disk requires an online update which is no longer available.  Uninstall Money 2005 and then look at the second "sticky" in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

and download and install the appropriate version of Money for your region.  That should be able to open your file.  IF you are in the UK, that will be Money 2005 that already has the required update.

If you still have problems, post back with the details.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Saturday, October 11, 2014 12:46 PM Clarification for UK
    • Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cal LearnerModerator Monday, October 13, 2014 5:28 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 8:49 PM

All replies

• Disconnect from the Internet.  Start Money, and log in offline.  While you already  tried to change your LiveID, you must use the credentials that were in effect at the time that you saved that Money file.

To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also see File->PasswordManager.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:29 PM
  • I am trying this but I have no password manager on my file menu. New Open Convert Quicken Restore backup are my only options
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:07 PM
  • I am trying this but I have no password manager on my file menu. New Open Convert Quicken Restore backup are my only options
    When you do Help->AboutMicrosoftMoney, what number is the Version value?
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Where would I find this at?
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:50 PM
  • Help is on the same row as File, but is on the right end of "File Edit Favorites Tools Help".
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:02 PM
  • I have tried this, but when I try to log in I get a message saying that the programme is unable to verify my sign-in details and to go online and re-enter the information.

I would greatly appreciate your help!

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Did you first disconnect from the internet before starting Money?

Was there a selection to login offline?
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:33 PM
  • I am using Windows 8.1, having replaced a computer which had Windows XP. I have a CD for Microsoft Money 2005 which is what I used on my old computer.

I have installed Money 2005 on the new computer but cannot restore my ".mbf" back up file. I think that the password is ok, but I get the following error message. " Money cannot locate '...file extension..' or cannot open it, possibly because it is read only, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected.     If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent backup file"

I have checked the file permissions and am certain that I have full access rights and the file is not Read Only.

Can you help?

Thanks.
    • Edited by Jelvey Friday, October 10, 2014 8:48 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 8:44 PM
  • The version of Money 2005 on your disk requires an online update which is no longer available.  Uninstall Money 2005 and then look at the second "sticky" in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

and download and install the appropriate version of Money for your region.  That should be able to open your file.  IF you are in the UK, that will be Money 2005 that already has the required update.

If you still have problems, post back with the details.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Saturday, October 11, 2014 12:46 PM Clarification for UK
    • Marked as answer by Cal LearnerModerator Monday, October 13, 2014 5:28 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Bill,

It worked, I am in!

Thank you for your help!

• Unproposed as answer by Bill Becker Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:38 PM
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 3:28 PM