How can I remove a phantom computer from a network? RRS feed

• Question

• A previous thread "http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaremultipcmanagement/thread/91afe020-6e4c-4d46-b4a0-e13bb9295afa/" sorta addressed this issue, however my condition is part of a much broader issue thus I'm re-asking.

I'm running Vista HP SP1 with Live OneCare.  Since performing a clean install of Vista to replace an XP SP3 installation, I've been fighting a search & destroy mission to eliminate many many TDR's (TDR - Timeout Detection and Recovery, see  http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeout.mspx).  I've suceeded in reducing the volume of errors in the event logs substantially by following suggestions found on the web, however I'm still facing numerous TDR's.  In my case, the TDR event lasts 45-125 secs., at which time Vista completely freezes.  This is by design, preventing BSOD's.

One anomaly that I see in my system is the existance of a phantom Computer called D1-OC.  D1 was the name of my present Vista machine when it had XP SP3 loaded. (the OC is for OneCare, as I've just found out).  The LAN consists of 2 real computers (my wife's running XP SP3 and mine running Vista SP1), over ethernet with a Netgear Fast Ethernet Switch connected to the web thru a 2Wire 2700HG-D modem using Qwest DSL.  When either my wife or I view the workgroup computers we see P8400 (the new name of my wife XP machine), DXPS (the new name for my Vista machine), and a phantom machine call D1-OC.  A registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WinSS\{B212D2AC-A5AD-4255-913C-EF49A3B75F7C}]" shows D1-OC as an alias for DXPS.  Also, the similar key in the XP SP3 machine has 2 references the "D1" machine.

As 1 attempt to sort out this condition, I renamed both computers as well as the LAN and destroyed all possible references to their "old" names.

I have a strong hunch that a possible cause for my TDR's is the existance of this phantom Computer.  In any case, I'd like to eliminate the possibility, since curing TDR's involves peeling back layer after layer of problems.

Do you or the Vista folks have any suggestions?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:32 PM

Answers

• The phantom computer is not a phantom, but has been created by OneCare for Printer Sharing within OneCare. You can't remove it. You might want to try disabling the OneCare printer sharing feature on your Vista machine, which might make the entry go away. However, it is unlikely to be the cause of your issue.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 30, 2009 4:34 PM

All replies

• The phantom computer is not a phantom, but has been created by OneCare for Printer Sharing within OneCare. You can't remove it. You might want to try disabling the OneCare printer sharing feature on your Vista machine, which might make the entry go away. However, it is unlikely to be the cause of your issue.

-steve

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for your reply & your efforts for many years (I've lurked often).

I'm glad you used "unlikely" as opposed to a stronger term.  In the past I've found that constraining even the most minor of variables is beneficial when attempting to unravel complex multi-dimensional conditions. 

Here's how I'm planning to proceed...If you see any critical faults in the approach, please hollar...

1.  Uninstall OneCare from both computers

2. Run the OneCare Cleanup tool

3. Check the registry for WinSS entries, esp. the machine entries in HKLM...  remove as appropriate (ah ha... Before step 1 Backup registry & system & establish a restore point)

4. This is the one point I'm still pondering... whether or no to disable the LAN when I reinstall OneCare (oh, by the way, I'm a fan of OneCare!).  I'm leaning to no disabling, esp. if the registry is "clean".  The one item that bothers me is the virtual "memory" of OneCare...I don't want any memory of my old workgroup/computers to remain.

Whatever the outcome in regard to my TDR issues, I'll post a note here ... the call may be subjective, though.

Thanks again,

Doug

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:12 PM
  • You won't be able to disable the LAN when installing OneCare as it needs to be connected to the Internet to install. The rest of the plan sounds reasoable enough.

In fact, by removing OneCare completely and then running "naked" for a while, you may find that the problem remains or is resolved. When reinstalling OneCare if the problem was resolved when it was not installed, you'll be able to prove my wrong. <g>

You're welcome and "unlikely" is the best I could do. I've learned that nothing is impossible when it comes to interoperability. :-)

-steve

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Oops, Ignore email I sent..you answered while I was sending that FYI

Many thanks again!!

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Conclusion (at least my own amateur conclusion)

Question 1:  How can "phantom" computers which appear in Vista's Network and Sharing Center be removed?

Answer:  The "phantom" computers appeared while converting one XP SP3 system to Vista HP SP1 and retained the "flavor" of the original XP system (old computer name).  The "phantoms appeared on both computers on my home Ethernet.  I successfully removed the phantoms on both computers by completely uninstalling OneCare, running the OneCare Cleanup tool, as well as the beta OneCare Cleanup scan for Vista (just on the Vista machine);  then reinstalling OneCare.  Except for the beta OneCare Cleanup scan, the were performed expeditiously.  The scan took many hours, for good reason ... just be prepared.

Question 2:  Did the existence of these "phantom" computers affect the Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) events that were plaguing my Vista system.

Answer:  I am now 80% convinced they were a major cause of my DTR's.  Some caveats; DTR's are caused by a whole slew of conditions, the main ones being Nvidea and ATI video drivers.  Creative drivers can also be at fault.  DTR's occur by design; they nearly eliminate BSOD's in Vista.  Earlier, I had attempted to eliminate any and all driver concerns as well as "correcting" as many of the items flagged in the Event logs, but I was still beset by DTR's; though fewer.  After eliminating the phantom computers, I have been exercising my Vista system for about 5 hrs. without a DTR.  Exercising included lots of Web browsing, lots of Windows Explorer work, Email, and about a hour of a game.  Strangely, of the above 4 items, the game, CivIV, was the only item that incurred minimal DTR's.

Recommendations:  MS Vista, Windows 7, OneCare and Morro folks might want to test this scenario.  I believe it would take very minor change in the automatic installation procedure to prevent these "phantoms" from occurring in the first place.  In fact, if I'd uninstalled OneCare on both my machines prior to doing a clean install of Vista I would have avoided this completely.  There's probably even a simpler method available to MS.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:48 PM