Microsoft Money has Stopped Working Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone, 

I have seen multiple threads but none quite exactly like mine. I have Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe V17.0.120.3817. I am running it on Windows 10 Home V10.0.14393. Recently my PC updated and was running slow. We closed all the programs (inlcuding Money) and restarted the PC which loaded some more updates. After such Money would not open. It began to open and would then after a few seconds would crash stating that "Microsoft Money has stopped working" I have tried to repair the file, I have tried to use a backup of the file, I have tried the .dll fix, installing on another PC and sing the .mny file to open money and all to no avail. When I try to run the level 2 repair on the file it fails stating " the utility could not repair your file. Repair a different version of your file, restore a backup, or reinstall Money" and when I look at the log file it states "No broken records in the original file." I really need to access the file if even just to export it. It is 7 years worth of data, but I am most concerned with the most recent data for the sake of my bills. any help any one could provide would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this has been answered before and I missed it. 

• Edited by Originalg666 Wednesday, September 6, 2017 11:20 PM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 11:15 PM

All replies

• First, make sure that you have a backups of your Money.mny file and and .mbf backup files on some external medium (DVD, flash drive, etc.).

Your version of Money should run fine on Windows 10 Home V10.0.14393.  I suggest reinstalling Money from the second "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Then double-click on your Money.mny file and see if it will open.  If not, post back with the details of the error message.  If that succeeds, then you can do the mnyob99.dll replacement that is described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Bill Becker

Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:10 AM
  • There have been some problematic updates to Windows 10 1607/14393 recently.
    Update your Windows 10 to build 1703, (15063.540 now but the 540 may increase later today).
    See Windows 10 Creators Update now available . Run Windows Update after upgrading.

Make sure you have a copy of your data file or a backup from before the problem started.
    If the file is corrupted - the error messages are not incorrect - you may not be able to recover any data.

If you still see error messages after upgrading Windows 10 to build 1703, uninstall and reinstall Money Sunset.
    Note the post-installation modifications in the first post in this forum.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Hello Bill, 

Can you please clarify what you mean by "sticky" thread. This is my first time using a forum so I am unsure what you mean sorry. 

Sunday, September 10, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Hello Dominic, 

I tried your solution and it did not work...when I attempt to open the My Money.mny, Microsoft Money attempted to open then closed when the loading bar was halfway full just like before. 

Sunday, September 10, 2017 4:43 PM
  • The two sticky threads are at the very top when you display the list of messages/threads in the form.  They have push pin icons signifying that they are pinned to the top of the list.  All others follow in whatever sort order you choose.
    Sunday, September 10, 2017 4:46 PM
  • In Windows Explorer, go to <View - Options - Change folder and search options - View> and enable the option to "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money\MNYCoreFiles, launch salv.exe and repair your data file.

See Using the Microsoft Money repair (salvage) tool 

Sunday, September 10, 2017 6:00 PM