WHS Setup error - Hard drive capable of hosting windows home server was not found! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all-

Trying to setup WHS on an IBM x335 server. The server has a LSI scsi controller. I am NOT running a raid configuration. I am using (2) 150 GB drives. The scsi post info shows both drives as being recognized during boot.

I am unable to get WHS to recognize the Hard drives at all. I get to teh screen where it aks me to load a driver after bnot finding any storage devces. I have loaded the scsi driver over and over again and it does not see it as a suitable driver. I have tried the WinXP, 2000, 2003 and DOS driver off the IBM support site.

I am at a cross roads here. Not sure what needs to be done but if anyone has any thoughts it woud be appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, August 4, 2008 9:47 PM

Answers

• If I understand correctly which IBM server you have, this page has a link to a readme which describes exactly how to prepare a driver floppy. You will have best success installing if you use a floppy, as you will need to supply the drivers twice. The first time is during the initial graphical portion of setup at the hardware discovery step. The second time is just after the reboot into text mode setup for Windows Server 2003, at the "Press F6" prompt.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:17 AM

All replies

• If I understand correctly which IBM server you have, this page has a link to a readme which describes exactly how to prepare a driver floppy. You will have best success installing if you use a floppy, as you will need to supply the drivers twice. The first time is during the initial graphical portion of setup at the hardware discovery step. The second time is just after the reboot into text mode setup for Windows Server 2003, at the "Press F6" prompt.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:17 AM
  •  

Thanks, the miniport driver was what I needed. I appreciate the reply
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 2:59 AM
  • I have a similar problem with non-native controllers, but in my case neither 3ware 9500S nor a Promise TX2300 controllers are able to be recognized.  I've made driver floppy disks for both.   Both controllers are configured in non-RAID configurations.  The 3ware was previously running in the same box, in a raid5 configuration, so I know that it works; I bought the Promise controller after I couldn't get the 3ware to work.  I finally got WHS up and running with a couple of 500Gb IDE disks, but I'd really like to also use the sata drives. 

Any suggestions?
    • Edited by BHalper Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:39 PM
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:37 PM