1GB ECC RAM not recognized during setup RRS feed

• Question

•  
    I have a Dell 400SC that I tried installing Beta 2 for the first time.  It has 1GB of ECC RAM, which is verified in the bios. I previously had Vista Ultimate installed and the full 1GB was recognized.

I tried installing Beta 2 tonight and after the setup begins, I'm told that setup only detects 254MB of RAM and only given an option to abort.  Not sure if it's the ECC RAM that is causing issues here, but this seems really odd.

Any help appreciated.
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 8:48 AM

Answers

• Found the solution!

Turns out that my BIOS had a option named "Enable OS Installation mode" enabled, which was reducing the amount of visible ram to the Windows Home Server setup.  I have no idea what this BIOS option is for, but once I disabled it, setup was able to proceed.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 5:48 PM

All replies

• Found the solution!

Turns out that my BIOS had a option named "Enable OS Installation mode" enabled, which was reducing the amount of visible ram to the Windows Home Server setup.  I have no idea what this BIOS option is for, but once I disabled it, setup was able to proceed.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Hmm, that's probably why the Dell Poweredge 1650 which I'm trying to install WHS on is having difficulties - besides the obvious one of lacking a DVD drive. That's something I'll have to try out, the next time I attempt to install it.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:51 PM