Backup Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

This question is regarding the WHS backup method. I currently have 2 laptops in my house, both backed up by WHS. The 'Backup Time' is set to 10.00am - 6.00pm. The problem lies with the starting up of these machines. Before someone has even logged into the laptops, it freezes both of them, rendering them useless until the backup has taken place (usually ~10 minutes). Sometimes this happens when I have been using the PC for a while, completely locking up the computer. Now, to me, in my situation, the WHS backup solution is not working effectively. It would be excellent if the backup manager would kick-in, say, when a PC has been idle for X amount of minutes, or when a screensaver has been initiated.

I don't know, it must just be me - but WHS freezing my home PC's every day is getting on my nerves. Is there any way to stop this, and is anyone having the same or similar problem?
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 12:48 AM

Answers

• It sounds like backup is (unfortunately for you) working as designed. When a backup runs, it consumes a good bit of system resources. This isn't likely to be a problem with a modern multi-core processor, but a single-core processor will show the symptoms you describe. And if a computer is booted during the backup window, a backup may run immediately. The best I can suggest is to change your backup window back to the default midnight to 6:00 AM period, and leave the laptops in standby occasionally overnight. This way it's very unlikely that you'll notice any performance impact.

And you should also submit a product suggestion on Connect, if a search doesn't show anything similar.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 2:08 AM