2 hard drives missing. Need advice on data recovery RRS feed

• Question

• I recently discovered that my WHS is listing my 2 largest hard drives as missing.  They are both WD 750GB drives that were purchased  together.  I have a total of 5 hard drives in my system, the other 3 are smaller 120gb drives.  Of course the overwhelming majority of the data stored on the server was on the 2 missing drives.  I have not been able to conclude yet if the drives themselves have gone bad or if it's the motherboard that is failing.  I have purchased a new motherboard, processor, RAM combo as well as 2 new 1TB hard drives to update the WHS.  My real question is this, if I plug the 'missing' hard drives in to another system, will I be able to retrieve data?  I had duplication turned on on many of the folders on the WHS.  If I can just pull all the data manually from the drives, I will start fresh with the new equipment.  I'm just unsure how the data is stored.  Any help will be most appreciated!
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:12 PM

Answers

• Yes,
    It is possible to retrieve your files from the disks. For more information, see How To: Recover Data after Server failure. (see the paragraph at "copy the data manually to a new location")?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Generik420 Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:49 PM

All replies

• Yes,
    It is possible to retrieve your files from the disks. For more information, see How To: Recover Data after Server failure. (see the paragraph at "copy the data manually to a new location")?

- Theo.

• Marked as answer by Generik420 Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Thanks Theo!  That's just the info I needed to find!
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Its very odd that two drives would fail.   I would check cables (power and sata),  bios settings, and power.  Has anything changed recently?  it may be wise to swap cables and even the power supply

WHS_retail version
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Its very odd that two drives would fail.   I would check cables (power and sata),  bios settings, and power.  Has anything changed recently?  it may be wise to swap cables and even the power supply

WHS_retail version

I haven't been able to devote as much time as I would like to resolving this yet but can give you some updated information.  I brought home a device that allows you to plug in a SATA hard drive (looks like a toaster) and then access it via a USB cable.  The first 'failed' drive powered up fine and I was able to go in and copy much of my data.  The second drive kept giving me an error that it needed to be formatted before Windows could use it.  I obviously didn't want to do that and kept hitting cancel.  Eventually it actually opened up in Windows for about a minute before it disappeared.  Both of those drives are identical WD 750gb drives.  I took the controller card off the one I had backed up and swapped it on the one acting up and was able to successfully retrieve the data last night.  SO, it appears one drive has a controller card that failed.  

Now to further the mystery.  I have purchased 2 1tb drives.  I tried putting one of them into the WHS last night and it never showed up.  Nothing.  Tried the second one and same thing.  Don't even get the drive spinning up.  Plugged them into the toaster device using USB and they both power up and could be formatted.  So my guess is I have a couple issues.  One it appears the motherboard is failing, at least the SATA controller.  Possibly just a power supply going bad, but I don't have another one to test with at this time.  I've had some bad power hits in the past 6-9 months that damaged a few devices in my home theater setup and I am wondering if this is not related.  And secondly the controller card that appears to be flaky may mean one of those drives is physically fine but functionally junk.

In the end, once I have all the data backed up off these drives I am going to rebuild this WHS from the ground up.  I already have the new ASUS motherboard and an AMD Athlon II 3.0ghz quad-core and 4gb RAM as the base plus the 2 1tb drives.  I need to get a new power supply just to ensure everything is starting out with a clean slate and I think I should be good to go.  The current hardware was originally the guts of a gaming rig I had setup probably 6 years ago or better, so it's definitely time for an upgrade. My main concern, losing data, has been taken care of.  Now it's just getting back to a functional state!  I am realizing that all of my PCs had been rebuilt when Windows 7 came out and I didn't install the WHS connector on any of them.. so I never got a warning.  I mainly stream music and movies to an Xbox360 and rarely log in to the WHS box.  I plan on correcting that in the future so I will be made aware of error states like this.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Defective hardware can result in drive failing. Reading you post I would suspect the power unit first...

Once done "repairing" you could consider running the WD drive diagnostics on the defective 750. There is a small chance it will be able to repair the drive or else it will report drive failure. If the drive is still under garantee you can RMA it for replacement.
    - Theo.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:34 PM