Windows 8.1 Laptop will not re-enter sleep mode after WHS2011 Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 8.1 and it does not want to go back to sleep after a nightly unattended backup performed by my Windows Home Server 2011. 

The laptop will successfully enter and remain in sleep mode whenever I command it (command sleep from power menu, close the lid, etc.) and it will remain in sleep mode until the nightly backup begins and will remain in an active state until I intervene (usually by opening and closing the lid in the morning.)

I have used the powercfg utilities with little clue as to what might be keeping the laptop awake.

Whenever the laptop is away from the WHS area overnight, it remains asleep until I wake it.

I read one of the other forum solutions to a similar issue, but they had a bio reader to deselect (which apparently corrected their no-sleep after backup issue.)  My laptop does not have this feature so I could not try it.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this issue kills my battery when not connected to a power source and keeping it constantly plugged in is not ideal.

Friday, December 5, 2014 7:19 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay in response.

When I run powercfg –requests I receive the following post:

DISPLAY:

None.

SYSTEM:

[DRIVER] ?

[DRIVER] ?

[DRIVER] ?

[DRIVER] ?

[DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

AWAYMODE:

None.

EXECUTION:

[DRIVER] ?

[DRIVER] ?

[DRIVER] ?

[DRIVER] ?

PERFBOOST:

None.

• Marked as answer by TheTurboFan Monday, December 15, 2014 12:46 AM
    Sunday, December 14, 2014 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please run powercfg –requests command with administrator permission on the Windows 8.1 client computer and check if something keep the computer awake. For more details of Powercfg Command, please refer to following article and check if can help you.

Powercfg Command-Line Options

Meanwhile, please refer to following thread and check if it help you to narrow down what prevent the Windows 8.1 from sleep mode.

Windows 8 does not go to sleep - how to identify the device/app preventing sleep

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Sunday, December 14, 2014 4:22 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TheTurboFan Tuesday, December 30, 2014 3:40 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in response.

When I run powercfg –requests I receive the following post:

DISPLAY:

None.

SYSTEM:

[DRIVER] ?

[DRIVER] ?

[DRIVER] ?