Contact Management RRS feed

• Question

• In LCS 2005 contact managemnet was completely impractical.  You had two options: 1. You just set it up and let your hundred users look for the other hundred when they had free time, or 2.  You used the LCS contact scripts to create groups and users after you populate the list and customize your tables and run it again any time you have to add or remove users.

Please tell me these are not the only two options still! 

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:18 PM

Answers

• We've recently deployed the beta here and ran into the same issue.

Communicator syncs it's address book using http/https. It grabs it from:

http://ocspoolname.domainname/ABS/Int

From the client that is having issues, try and go to that address in IE. You should get an authentication prompt. Put in your domain credentials (domainname\username and password). You should get a directory listing of .dabs and .lsabs.

If you get an access denied error (as we did initially) you need to enable directory borwsing on the Int and Ext virtual folders under IIS on your OCS Server.  It appears that the Public Beta setup misses this step. Once this is enabled try and access the URL in IE again. If it works try your communicator client.

If turning directory browsing on didn't work then you could have a proxy issue. Communicator/Outlook 2007 uses your IE proxy settings. In our case a proxy misconfiguration was preventing us from accessing internal destinations via the proxy. Step 1 would be turn your proxy off completely and see if that works. If so then you'll need to look at adding some exceptions to the proxy.

Monday, April 16, 2007 11:57 PM

All replies

• Users can add distribution lists from the GAL.  Works well.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 10:22 PM
  • That only works if the address book is working and synching right?  And can it be automated or do I need to expect all my already busy users to figure this out?
    Friday, April 6, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Address book synchronization should be automatic. If you want to force synchronization now, you can go to a command prompt and navigate to:

<install path>\Server\Core\ and then run ABServer.exe -syncNow

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:17 AM
  • I have already attempted this and my address book does seem to be synching as I have noticed event logs that give that impression.  However, my communicator is still giving the "Cannot Synch Address Book" error and no one seems to be able to answer why.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:23 PM
  • I'm not having any issues with this.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:46 AM
  • We've recently deployed the beta here and ran into the same issue.

Communicator syncs it's address book using http/https. It grabs it from:

http://ocspoolname.domainname/ABS/Int

From the client that is having issues, try and go to that address in IE. You should get an authentication prompt. Put in your domain credentials (domainname\username and password). You should get a directory listing of .dabs and .lsabs.

If you get an access denied error (as we did initially) you need to enable directory borwsing on the Int and Ext virtual folders under IIS on your OCS Server.  It appears that the Public Beta setup misses this step. Once this is enabled try and access the URL in IE again. If it works try your communicator client.

If turning directory browsing on didn't work then you could have a proxy issue. Communicator/Outlook 2007 uses your IE proxy settings. In our case a proxy misconfiguration was preventing us from accessing internal destinations via the proxy. Step 1 would be turn your proxy off completely and see if that works. If so then you'll need to look at adding some exceptions to the proxy.

Monday, April 16, 2007 11:57 PM
  • Hi Walt,

What is the status of your issue? Were you able to resolve it? Did you try what Jeff had suggested? Can you let us know what your fix was?

If you are still having this issue, let us know ASAP.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 5:16 AM
  • What Jeff suggested appears to be right on the money with whats happening to me but I am still in the same boat.  I have always thought it was IIS related but didnt want to further screw things up because we all know how touchy IIS can be. 

I enabled the two virtual directories with Directory Browsing and was able to see the contents when I returned to the page finally but communicator still gives me the same error.  I am bit confused on a few things though.

First, why would I have to authenticate myself in the first place?  Second, the contents of both directories appear to be exactly the same.  In fact, the properties of both virtuals point to the same locaiton; D:\Program Files\Office Communicator Server 2007\Web Components\Address Book Files.  Also, I have also noticed something  very unusual with the parent folder of the virtuals.  It shows up as being the \Abs folder but it appears as if its hidden or something, it has that invisible look to it and when you click it initially it says "The system cannot find the specified path" but still lets you see the subfolders.  Weird huh?

I have already tried to reinstall OCS but it didnt help.  I think you guys are on the right track but I dont know what else to do with IIS.

Thanks

Friday, April 20, 2007 6:08 PM
  • WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

Okay, so after I added the specific url of my \int dirctory to group policy I finally stop receving the message.  So thanks Jeff, we have a resolution!

However, one other question.  Now that I have the "Address Book" working, how do I get communicator to pull ditributions list or contacts with it?

Friday, April 20, 2007 8:29 PM
  • If i understand you correctly you want to automatically fill the contact list with set contacts?

If so i have yet to find an easy solution.

We have been adding contacts individually by typing their sip username (username@domain.com usually) into the find a name field at the top of Communicator, then dragging them onto the contact list.

You can also add distribution groups which makes life much easier, but there are not available through communicator web access.

What i've done is create my own groups, added distribution groups then dragged their contents int the groups I created. This lets me access all my contacts internally and through CWA.

The Documentation has a .pdf called Communicator_2007_Quick_Reference_Card_PresenceandIM.pdf which has lots of info/instructions on hwo to add/manage contact.

I understand from my reading that you can automatically populate the contact list is with scripts, as was done with live Communication Server.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:34 AM
  •  Jeff McLuckie wrote:

If i understand you correctly you want to automatically fill the contact list with set contacts?

If so i have yet to find an easy solution.

We have been adding contacts individually by typing their sip username (username@domain.com usually) into the find a name field at the top of Communicator, then dragging them onto the contact list.

You can also add distribution groups which makes life much easier, but there are not available through communicator web access.

What i've done is create my own groups, added distribution groups then dragged their contents int the groups I created. This lets me access all my contacts internally and through CWA.

The Documentation has a .pdf called Communicator_2007_Quick_Reference_Card_PresenceandIM.pdf which has lots of info/instructions on hwo to add/manage contact.

I understand from my reading that you can automatically populate the contact list is with scripts, as was done with live Communication Server.

Can you point me in the correct direction in finding the script to automatically populate the contact lists?

Friday, April 27, 2007 3:04 PM
  • I believe the LCS 2005 scripts still work. They are part of the LCS Resource Kit:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D21C38E5-5D8F-44C7-BA17-2CC4F85D8B51&displaylang=en

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:33 AM
  • Hi

You need the script LCSAddContacts which is part of the OCS 2007 resource kit, i have used this to populate hundreds of users into my contacts.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 8:17 AM
  • Hi  Walt.

I have been reading this thread with great interest as i have the same problem. But I dont understand your reference to group policy.  Are you saying you added the url to your trusted sites list???

can you explain further.

thanks in advance

Monday, July 9, 2007 7:48 PM
  • No,

What you need to do add the addresses to the proxy exceptions.

Tools, Internet Options

Connections, LAN Settings

Advanced, Do not use a proxy server for the following addresses

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:14 PM
  • I'm having this issue, but no proxies are in use. Adding the above settings don't do anything for me, as we don't use proxies.

I'm able to get to the /abs/int directory through my browser, but I'm still getting the error in the Communicator.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 7:48 PM
  • Same here, can't load the https://FQDN/ABS/Int and the settings are correct, even the server can't read them....
    Monday, August 13, 2007 1:38 PM
  •  

What do you mean when you say you can't load it?

You need to be able to go to that URL in IE and not get any certificate errors or authentication prompts or anything for it to work.

What happend when you try?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:56 PM
  •  

Dear ,

I like to announce all of you that there is a Free Tool lanched at www.ocscm.com for manage Office Communications Server 2007/2005 Users contaclt list in easy and effieciencly way fro IT Administrators  in any orgainzations

< this is a replacement for VB Scripts>

Product Overview

Release Goal

OCSCM is a free tool used by IT administrator to manage OCS users’ contacts list in efficiently and easy way. IT Administrator can assign, reassign contacts to any user, create new OCS User and find any contact easily and quickly. They can also send emails to all contact lists about new OCS User.

Product Scope

OCSCM will enable IT administrator to manage operations related to OCS users to save IT stuff efforts and time, it provide the following operation

1.       Availability of Create OCS user (Active Directory user with live communication server option Enable).

2.       Assign &Reassign contacts list to OCS user.

3.       Delete any contact from all OCS users exist in Contact List.

4.       Send Notification mail to all contacts (contact list users) about the new OCS user.

www.ocscm.com
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:50 AM
  • I am looking for a way to point OCS to a set of groups or OUs in active directory so that the contacts and potentially groups are populated automatically based on the directory (isn't that what a directory is for) information.  Just like Exchange, etc.  Is there not a way to do this?

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:30 PM