Still problems after reading all other posts RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have not used my PC since last July.  I had to purchase a Genuine Copy of Windows XP Professional after learning the one installed on my PC was not genuine.  Since I have a laptop, I left the PC idle until 5 days ago. 

Last night, I was on Explorer for several hours without encountering any problems.  I logged on tonight and couldn't open IE due to a problem with the google.??.dll.  I uninstalled the version of the Google toolbar I had so I could install a newer version.  When I tried, Google Updater claimed I was missing a "required component". 

After searching in Google's Help, I dowloaded the msxml3.msi file it suggested.  I hoped this would allow me to finish with Google Updater.  To help me figure out if I then did have the "required component", I tried to search the .dll file extension.  This lead to another problem - Search Companion error. 

I then attempted to correct this error by downloading from this Microsoft support link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319949 .  To download this, validation must be required.  After getting the unable to validate due to an unknown error, I began reading the forum pages.  I attempted to validate many times following several forum suggestions.  I went to the Diagnostic Site and all settings Passed.  Here is my Diagnostic Report:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Detailed Status: N/A

Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-K2PHT-QF4PV-KC9CD

Windows Product Key Hash: aePs006XhOVBOEUrlAnSKZjcQaI=

Windows Product ID: 55274-083-4715972-22079

Windows Product ID Type: 5

CSVLK Server: N/A

CSVLK PID: N/A

Windows License Type: Retail

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

ID: {ECF29B19-A348-488A-B12A-A4A84D1FFD38}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.5.540.0

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: http=127.0.0.1:8010

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details:

As luck would have it, I cannot find my COA sticker (it has been a year since I purchased, and I'm quite messy).  However, my disk does have the holographic imaging edge-to-edge.  And of course, I have my Product Key which I know you don't want.  I have no idea what to do next.  I realize you can only help with the Validation problem, but any help in solving at least one problem is greatly appreciated.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:50 AM

Answers

• TcherGirl,

First, download and install the standalone WGA Notifications utility---yours is significantly out of date.  Restart.

Then, please try the fixes pasted below:

We have been testing this issue and I have been able to reproduce the error and then was able to fix it using the below steps. The cause is that the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ is missing. This is the registry key for MSXML 3.0 and should be there on all Windows XP computers. WGA uses the XML service, on a computer, to be able to validate that computer.

Please tell us how this works for you.

Fix a:

1) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
    (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)

If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below steps, in that case:

Fix b:

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”

3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.

4) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:19 PM
  • Tchergrl,

Please let us know if the solution Dan provided works. Also a bit of bad news. The version of Office installed on the machine is a blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK). You may submit a piracy report and/or vist the location where you purchased it and demand the moneyback or give you a genuine copy. You may also purchase the OGA Kit. If you need further assistanc please don't hesitate to re-post.

regards,

STephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Tchergirl.

Are you still receiving the same problem?  You may have to reinstall windows.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:25 AM

All replies

• TcherGirl,

First, download and install the standalone WGA Notifications utility---yours is significantly out of date.  Restart.

Then, please try the fixes pasted below:

We have been testing this issue and I have been able to reproduce the error and then was able to fix it using the below steps. The cause is that the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ is missing. This is the registry key for MSXML 3.0 and should be there on all Windows XP computers. WGA uses the XML service, on a computer, to be able to validate that computer.

Please tell us how this works for you.

Fix a:

1) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
    (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)

If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below steps, in that case:

Fix b:

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en

2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”

3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.

4) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:19 PM
  • Tchergrl,

Please let us know if the solution Dan provided works. Also a bit of bad news. The version of Office installed on the machine is a blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK). You may submit a piracy report and/or vist the location where you purchased it and demand the moneyback or give you a genuine copy. You may also purchase the OGA Kit. If you need further assistanc please don't hesitate to re-post.

regards,

STephen Holm, MS

Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:53 PM
  • I didn't get very far when I encountered a problem (gigantic I think).  I started at the first step; download and install the WGA Notifications utility.  I tried twice to install it and everytime the box to send an error report popped up during installation.  I tried to send the error report and then the trouble began.  I shut down and turned it on this morning.  The screen popped up asking me about opening in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with (?) or the other Safe Mode, or opening Windows as usual.  First time I picked the last one.  No luck.  So then I tried Safe Mode.  The computer would then act like it was going in to Safe Mode and continue to reboot and go to the same screen again (asking how I wanted to open).  Is this the time I just start over?  Thank you.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Tchergirl.

Are you still receiving the same problem?  You may have to reinstall windows.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:25 AM