KB936181 Haunting me RRS feed

• Question

• I have automatic update settings active for Windows XP, SP2.  For more than a month, update finds "Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)" and requests me to install this as it is already downloaded. description reads:

"Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes  (Downloaded; ready to install)    Successful:   
      Failed:          
      Remaining:   

-->
    Successful Updates
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
    This is really annoying, and I can not confirm if there are any more related security updates as each time auto update runs, I get the same request to install KB936181...

Please help.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 5:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same problem on my laptop with VISTA.  I can't count how many times I have "successfully" installed this update.  Yet everyday it says I have one "important" update to install; and it is always KB936181

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:31 PM
  • I've got it too. Very annoying. Successful instal multiple times. What is the deal with this?

Saturday, February 23, 2008 4:55 AM
  • Regarding this thread, I too, have auto updates activated. Upon checking installed updates, I find that I have this same update successfully installed daily since 2/16/08. Today is 2/25/08.  I see it will install multiple times depending on the systems installed software, but this is rediculous!   Please help.

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:25 PM
  • You can get expert Windows Update troubleshooting advice by posting your Windows Update related questions in the official Windows Update newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:39 PM
  • I too have been wondering what is going on with this update. Today I recieved a message back from Microsoft stating that to correct this problem you first have to "DELETE" KB936181. Then go to the MS Update page to reinstall it. See below:

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility

=============================================

1. Please visit the following link to download the tool:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe

2. Save the file to the computer.

3. Double click the msicuu2.exe to install this tool on the computer.

After doing that, please take the following steps to remove previous installation of Microsoft XML Core Services.

Step 2: Remove MSXML software

=========================

1. Click "Start" -> "(All) Programs" -> "Windows Installer Clean Up".

2. See if you can find MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 or its updates. If so, remove them.

3. Restart the computer.

After that, please try to reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and KB936181.

Step 3: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

================================

1. Please download the following files and save them to the Desktop.

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/5/9657c01e-107f-409c-baac-7d249561629c/msxml.msi

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB936181)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/4/2/9422e6b6-08ee-49cb-9f05-6c6ee755389e/msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe

2. After the files are downloaded, please double-click the files to install them in order.

After that, please access the Windows update site to check if this issue has been resolved.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:33 PM
  •  

This is the FIX!... reoccurring update errors are gone... Thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Fixed the same problem for me.  Thanks. It's been a while since I've used the MS website to find anything and I must say this was the quickest problem resolution I've ever experienced via the website.  Thanks.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:59 AM
  • Unable to install

Not a valid win32 application
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 12:05 PM
  •  raypm wrote:

Unable to install

Not a valid win32 application

You can get expert Windows Update troubleshooting advice by posting your Windows Update related questions in the official Windows Update newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:14 PM
  •  

Not sure why this has come up as "not valid 32 app... it worked fine for us here... Did you make sure all related updates for the MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 were removed?... I found more than 1 on my system when I removed those files mentioned in the posting...

Good luck.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:30 AM
  • This fix worked for me as well.  During the installation of the MSXML 4.0 service pack 2 and security update, I had to start Task Manager and add the PID column to the display to stop processes that were interferring with the install.  After I did that the install went smoothly.  After installing Vista SP1, Windows update indicated I had to install KB941833 for the MSXML 4.0 software.  Thanks for the help.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:21 AM
  •    THANK YOU a million times! Your guidance was superb and if I had you here with me I'd be hugging you. What I don't understand is why MICROSOFT didn't put the guidance above out to all. Oh well you saved the day. Best to you. Ladybugkaren from MIddleborough, MD

Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Unfortunately, didn't work here - the same continues appearing in Windows Update every day. I have repeated the process several times, did the uninstal with Programs and Features as well as with the Cleaner app, but to no avail. I still get the Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service "successfuly" updated each day.

Running Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:58 AM
  •  

If anyone is having problems running either of the two files, as I did, try running them as Administrator.  Even if you are the Admin of your computer and are logged in as so you may need to run them this way anyhow.  I couldn't install either myself and tried running as Admin. and it worked out fine.  Both ran then and my laptop is now fixed.

I know this issue is a real pain in the tookus and I only dealt with it for 3 days.  But believe me, I was about to smash my laptop to pieces. 

Also, make sure when you install the 2 files you CLOSE automatic updates.  So, run the cleaner app, download the two files, CLOSE auto updates, install the files IN ORDER.  Then check to see if it worked. 

Good luck everyone!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:49 AM
  • Wonderful Fix.  Thanks!!!
    Monday, October 5, 2009 2:29 AM