I think Netzero dial-up software is preventing Windows Live Onecare from getting definition updates. Can someone check please? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Live Onecare version 2.0.2500.12

Virus and spyware definition version: 1.23.4373

Firewall policy version: 1.2.30.104

I reinstalled Windows Live Onecare 2.0 yesterday because I'm having trouble getting definition update manually/automatically. today i have a newly installed WLOC and it's not updating definitions. I think it's either Netzero dial-up software is causing it not to update or Windows Live Onecare 2.0. What is the latest defintion right now? I have definition version 1.23.4373.0. Can someone check this? is anyone having problem updating there definition?

Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:39 PM

Answers

• Is OneCare red and telling you it is out of date? If you reinstalled OneCare, you have the latest definitions.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:19 AM

All replies

• Is OneCare red and telling you it is out of date? If you reinstalled OneCare, you have the latest definitions.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:19 AM
  • I am not getting the updates from Onecare when I am on Dial-up.  But when I go to the city, on high speed it's not a problem.  Is Onecare not able to recieve updates through dial-up because it is to slow?  This program isn't much good to me if I can't receive my updates, what can I do beside uninstall and reinstall all the time???  Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 1, 2008 7:13 PM
  • You can use OneCare over dial-up and it will update. However, if you are only connected for short periods of time, updates may fail the first time and you'll be in red status until the update downloads and installs completely. The problem is that an in progress download that is cut off is seen by OneCare as a failure and it reports it as such, though it will continue to download on the subsequent connection until complete, unless there is another problem.

You should not have to reinstall all the time.

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 2:57 AM
  • Thrower,

Are your Dial-up connections usually close to 50Kbps or often 28Kbps? If they are closer to the slower figure, the updates are likely to be badly delayed, if they work at all.

OneCare specifiies a requirement of a 56K modem minimum, though the best you'll ever actually see is about 50.6 Kbps transfer rate. Even then the daily updates can take a half hour and the program updates will take hours. I have this issue on a Dial-up PC and must leave it on occasionally to 'catch up' since the monthly Windows Updates (second tuesday) and other automatic program updates will also add to the delay.

Try to remember to manually download the Windows Updates the next time you're on broadband after the second tuesday, since it can take hours for these alone.

OneCareBear
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 7:14 AM
  •  greenicon wrote:
    is anyone having problem updating there definition?

Yes.

My girl friend has netzero, has re-installed WLOC 4 times per Microsoft's tech support.. They also refuse to compensate her when she requested to extend her subscription. (FYI Microsoft has not impowered out-sourced supervisors to do that) 

There is not a state-side WLOC staff or supervisor to contact.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:56 AM
  • Frederick B,

You're correct that support is outsourced. However, the problem would appear to be with updates via the dial-up connection, so despite the pain of needing to reinstall 4 times now, I think that the problem with updates is continuing for your girlfriend because the root cause is not being addressed.

When she connects to the Internet, how long does she typically stay connected?

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:04 PM