Multilingual (At Least, Runtime Selectable IME) Support? RRS feed

• Question

• I know that WinCE/Windows Mobile has been around for a while, so I am really surprised that runtime selectable IME hasn't been implemented as a fundamental OS functionality on WinCE/Windows Mobile.  On the desktop Windows OS, this has been a great feature since XP (run English Windows, but have Korean IME as well as English).

I don't know if a marketing research has been done on this subject, but I believe quite a few people who buys WinCE/Windows Mobile devices in the U.S. are multi-lingual (like me), especially in CJK.  For me, one of the most frustrating things on WinCE/Windows Mobile is that I have to search on the web to find an (incomplete) way to (partially) support my need for Korean input and output on the device.  They are not free and they don't work in all cases.  So, part of my notes I entered on my desktop PC cannot be viewed on the WinCE/Windows Mobile device.  I can't certainly type any Korean characters on the device to create a document or to search for something.

This is very frustrating and this makes WinCE/Windows Mobile very limiting compared to iPod Touch or iPhone which has a fantastic multi-lingual input/output support in the OS.  This has got to be a fundamental service from a modern OS.

If you have multilingual support, this will be boon to many Chinese/Japanese/Korean speaking populations in the U.S. (and in E.U.).

Hong.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:16 AM

Answers

• I agree with HongCho. Although there are third-party software that we can purchase to support Chinese/Japanese/Korean, the overall performance is poor. And when the text encoding has other languages such as indian, thai or other languages, the contents have square blocks, which are really annoying. The stability is another issue. I like the way Windows Mobile has in terms of compatibility with Windows system, but the language support is indeed limited.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by HongCho Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by HongCho Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:58 PM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:45 PM

All replies

• Here is a good article on the subject of virtual keyboards.

http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/08/07/virtual-keyboards-on-iphone-and-android/

Hong.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:16 PM
  • I agree with HongCho. Although there are third-party software that we can purchase to support Chinese/Japanese/Korean, the overall performance is poor. And when the text encoding has other languages such as indian, thai or other languages, the contents have square blocks, which are really annoying. The stability is another issue. I like the way Windows Mobile has in terms of compatibility with Windows system, but the language support is indeed limited.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by HongCho Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by HongCho Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:58 PM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Hi I just got HTC smartphone with WM 6.1. I work as a translator, and am disappointed that WM 6.1 does not support additional language support. I wonder if they will consider it for upgrades? Or are there any other options?
    Monday, August 17, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I've shared your additional language support request with the team. I'm marking this thread as answered for tracking purposes but feel free to continue discussing current options as this thread stays open for additional comments and viewing.
    Thank you from the Microsoft Windows Mobile Team
    http://www.WindowsMobile.com/TotalAccess
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Marked as answered for sweeping under the carpet purposes...?
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 9:50 AM
  • I didn't realize there was a similar thread already.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobilesuggestions/thread/0bf02b25-db55-4d9b-82ff-598276e9f34f?prof=required

Use the above to consolidate our voices.

Hong.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:53 PM