is it illegal to have a copy of windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• my son was givin a laptop by his school about a year ago, in fact the whole of his year has been given them so they can do there GCSE course work at home and at school. I went to use it the other day and a notice came up saying that it was not a genuine copy of windows 7 and that it is prone to harmful viruses. i made my son take his work out and use my laptop as losing his work could effect his GCSE'S. Since then my sons girlfriend's laptop from the school won't work it is saying the files are corrupt. i got my son to ask other kids and the same has happened to most of the laptops, he only knows 2 kids in his year that still have a working laptop. is it illegal for the school to have done that???    if so who do i inform about this????
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:40 PM

Answers

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue  you may be experiencing, please download and run the  Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and Paste the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:26 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:53 PM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue  you may be experiencing, please download and run the  Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and Paste the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:26 PM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:53 PM
  • You should consider another possible cause, too. Maybe the non-genuine warning itself is a fake (or combined with some other problem). Pirated copies of Windows may show you a black background and a warning about being non-genuine. But a message with a virus alert, "saying the files are corrupt" or a really unusable laptop could well be signs of an infection with malware (ironically, those warnings often originate from the rogue software), and school computers are especially prone to that.
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Friday, January 21, 2011 10:20 AM
  • "Sanmartin" wrote in message news:1732454d-d734-46e6-acd2-504560b05d30...
    You should consider another possible cause, too. Maybe the non-genuine warning itself is a fake (or combined with some other problem). Pirated copies of Windows may show you a black background and a warning about being non-genuine. But a message with a virus alert, "saying the files are corrupt" or a really unusable laptop could well be signs of an infection with malware (ironically, those warnings often originate from the rogue software), and school computers are especially prone to that.
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")

The MGADiag report will give us the chapter-and-verse on the state of Licensing on the computer - and can sometimes point us in the direction of a malware source for any problems.
    Usually, the symptoms of a malware-type non-genuine warning are different from a real one, and if the OP gives us enough detail (which I admit would be unusual<g>), then we should be able to spot it.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, January 21, 2011 10:40 AM
  • No further reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:26 PM