where are the actual data files located on the hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the path to where the files are stored on each drive (as opposed to virtual pointers or share names), so that if the OS fails I can retrieve them on another PC?
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:03 AM

Answers

• What is the path to where the files are stored on each drive (as opposed to virtual pointers or share names), so that if the OS fails I can retrieve them on another PC?
    See this FAQ post.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by shawn2010 Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:44 AM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:19 AM

All replies

See this FAQ post.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by shawn2010 Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:44 AM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:19 AM
    See <this http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f> FAQ post.
    This is for the shares. Can the backups be accessed by mounting the drives of a broken WHS?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:10 AM
  • No. the backup database is only readable using the tools in Windows Home Server. It's possible, if the database isn't damaged by a server failure, to "move" the database to another server; you'll find more about that in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief available from the Microsoft web site (and linked at least dozens of times in this forum :) ).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:49 PM
  • No. the backup database is only readable using the tools in Windows Home Server.
    Thanks, Ken.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:09 PM