none
79% frustrations - a big picture take RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm having the 79% problem, too - I'm frustrated as all get-out about it - and it's hard to isolate since I'm running a variety of HP and Dell clients (XP Pro and Vista mix), using an HP EX470 maxed out with 4 500 MB disks.  The EX470 is running WHS PP1 (had a beta release before that, in order to try to get around the data corruption issue).  None of the clients can get past 79%, on attempting to open any backup.

I see Microsoft is now acknowledging the issue and I'll preface my comments with a show of due respect to the contributors to this forum, to the MVPs, and generally to software developers everywhere.  That being said, I must add my own critical voice to those who've already offered similar thoughts:  a product designed and marketed to bring simplicity and reliability to a multi-computer home network environment cannot succeed in the marketplace if it fails to store data reliably on its redundant disk systems in the first place, and then also fails to provide a reliable backup and restore mechanism.  Worse still, by lulling its users into believing that regular backups were completing successfully, only to spring the grand surprise when one has cause - generally urgently - to try to recover a lost or corrupt file, it fails on the grandest scale:  abusing the trust of its purchaser.

That's stating the obvious, I know, and I'll quickly acknowledge that abuse of trust is certainly never any supplier's intent.  But on forums where by necessity we all must engage at a level of technical detail, let's try to keep the big picture in mind:  Windows Home Server does not store its data very reliably, or make it possible to reliably recover such data from backups, if recent experience reflected throughout this forum is any indication (I believe even the most fervent WHS supporter should be able to acknowledge this point).  So, this begs the question:  why on earth is this product currently on the market - from a company such as Microsoft which prides itself on quality?

Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    sometimes the 79% issue can have its root causes in a broken backup database.
    Sometimes in such situations it may help to use the Repair function, sometimes only a database reset, which is possible with installed Windows Home Server Toolkit and deletes all backups solves the issue.
    If there is something else in the background as root cause, like disk issues on the WHS, this should reflect themself in the event log of the server at least.

But I agree, that the backup database should be more robust and better repairable (even if some files may go away during the repair process) and hope that we will see improvements in this area in the future of Windows Home Server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 10:23 PM
  • dmzumwalt,  I do agree with most of your remarks.  If it's bugging you it's very annoying, however only very few users are affected by this issue. Also the "79% issue" is not a single issue, there's more then one cause for this problem. Some of these can already be fixed, some not (yet).

Since you have the problem on all of your clients it's most likely a server side issue. Could be an issue with the database, but also some other component which is failing.

I would advise you to do a server recovery. This will reinstall the server software but should preserve your data and client backups. You will have to reinstall Add-in's, add clients, add users and so on.

If this doesn't fix it you can choose to delete the complete client backup database, then start all over again with the backups. If you can't afford to loose the backups you can try and find out if there's some corruption in your database, and then try and fix this. Repairing a backup database is not a simple issue, I could give you some guidance, no guarantees however and you really need more then average computer knowledge if you want to try this.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 1:03 AM