WHS Support for 4k Sectors on Hard Drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have the latest version of WHS and am building my machine. I have not yet purchased the hard drives and am debating getting the newer Western Digital 2TB drives that operate with the 4k sectors (vs. 512 byte). Does anyone know if these drives will work just fine in the latest version of WHS?

Thanks in advance.

- Matt

Thursday, April 1, 2010 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The 4K sectors drives won't work out of the box with Windows Home Server very well.  You can install the jumper and use them as 512 byte drives or use the align utility on them afterwards.  More info here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2888

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:39 PM
  • I posted some guidance about this over here .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 2, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Sorry to just stumble upon this topic months later, but I've just installed a WD 2TB EARS in my WHS's storage pool, and only now have discovered this issue.  I've read a lot of the forum posts about it now, and just have one question.  I know it would probably be best to remove this drive from the storage pool formally using the Remove Disk option from the WHS console, take it out, place the jumper on pins 7&8, plug it back it, and add it to the storage pool again.

But what if I DON'T formally remove it first...i.e., just simply shut down the WHS, pull it out, place the jumper on, and then plug it back in and start up?  Does anyone know what will happen?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:48 PM
  • If you don't mind risking your data, go ahead and let us know what happens.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:32 AM
  • If you can afford to lose your data then it should just ask you to format the drive again.  However, you might be unlucky and DE moved something important to this drive.

I would do as you said in your first paragraph, GUI Remove Drive, Physically Remove Drive set the jumper and add the drive again.

-- Free AV for WHS : http://whsclamav.sourceforge.net/
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Thanks for your replies.  When I looked over at the We Got Served Forums and Articles, they also thought that the data on the drive would be lost for sure it it wasn't formally removed first.  Oh well...I'll have to wait for a good downtime to go through that process.  Based on my past experience, it will take WHS more than 80 hours to remove that 2TB HDD.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:32 PM