WHS Reported Size RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I had a Windows Home Server coming to the end of its trial, I had loaded it with around 700 GB of data and had file duplication turned on for all folders. I had not backed up any of the computers connected to it. Its only purpose was to store my photo collection. To save all the data stored on it I added a 1Tb drive to back up the data stored in the shared folders. Over a number of days I ran the built in back up program several times.

The drive was then placed in to a computer running Windows XP Pro this showed the drive has having 16 folders each named with a date and time.

On checking the drive via my computer – properties I get, used space 866 GB, free space 65 GB, total size 931 GB.

Now if I right click and open the drive I see 16 folders, if I now highlight them all and click on properties I get 4.35 GB.

Since the maximum size of the drive is 931Gb how can it say it has 4.35Tb of data on the drive?

If I delete all to folders other than the last dated one will that last folder have all the data from the server in it?

How can I move data off the drive and know I have moved the data and not just a pointer to the data?

Is the a Windows Home Server article and or help file on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:03 PM

All replies

• It's normal; when you back up a share that's been backed up to that drive already, Windows Home Server creates symbolic links to any files that haven't changed. That way, there's only a single copy of the file on the drive, though it may appear that there are several (possibly dozens, if you back up regularly). If you delete all the old backups, you won't lose anything from the current backup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 6, 2010 2:27 AM