Speed of WHS steaming 2 or 3 video at once RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo

I am in the planning phase of building a WHS.

On the server will be use for the normal backup for computers, personel storage and sharing. What the server is made for ;-)

But also Music, Picures/TV and Videos (Normal and HD films) will be placed on the server.

The server can really come at hard work if 2 of the kids is steaming HD videos via Xbox360

I am steaming music or doing backup and my wife is steaming a recorded TV show.

What should I be looking for when building the Home Server.

regards

Henrik

(Denmark)

Saturday, July 28, 2007 8:57 AM

All replies

• Streaming (especially multiple simultaneous streams) stresses every part of the server, really. You'll need multiple fast drives, so that hopefully not all the streams will be coming off the same disk, a good CPU to process the streams, and a fast network connection to deliver them.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:56 PM
  • .. and to add, if more connections start to happend to your server, more RAM will be good idea as well.

My best.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:53 AM
  • Henrik,

Here are the hardware specs on my WHS

Intel Pentium D 925 (3.0Ghz)

Asus P5N-E SLI

OCZ 2Gbs PC 6400

1 Maxtor 80 Gb IDE HDD ("SYS" Drive-20 Gb, balance for "DATA")

2 Maxtor 400 Gb SATA 2 and 1 500 Gb SATA 2 HDDs ("DATA" partion)

1.26 Terabytes!!!

At first I had a P3 1Ghz with 512 Mbs of RAM then I tried a Athlon 1.2 Ghz with 648Mbs of RAM.

Both worked so well I took the plunge and  purchased the Proc, MoBo, and RAM above and later added the 400s and 500 HDD as they became afford able.

I have 8 computers all running XP Home or Pro on a wired Cat5 network.

I have my mp3 collection and some DVDs on the WHS. I have been able to have up to 5 computers accessing the media with no loss in quality (2 computers accessing 2 different DVDs and the other 3 accessing mp3s).

However I don't have a tuner on my WHS to stream TV nor do I have any HD content (720 or 1080) to stream either.

Recomending harware specs for your WHS is easy, Buy the fastet Proc that you can afford. Next select a MoBo that has the best upgrade ability ( 4 slots for RAM vs 2 slots and don't forget the SATA connects). Then purchase the amount of RAM that best fits your current budget (512 Mbs or 1 Gbs now and more later). Finally get the largest HDD that fits your budget adding more later is easy. I spent about $340 US dollars on the first three items and had the 80G HDD and spare case with a power supply on hand. Later I added one 400 Gb HDD, then a new mid tower case (I want room for HDDs and I keep the WHS out in my garage). Finally the 400 and the 500 HDDs.

Something that I feel many over look is wired vs wireless networks. If you really want to get the most out your WHS and network, wired is the only way to go.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:29 AM
  • we asked PC Pro mag to stream multiple 720p HD video + music -    see what they ahd to say ?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/121499/tranquil-t7hsa.html

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:02 PM
  •  Tranquil PC wrote:

we asked PC Pro mag to stream multiple 720p HD video + music -    see what they ahd to say ?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/121499/tranquil-t7hsa.html

More SPAM?

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:07 PM
  • SME

Hi - this is powerful and useful information - not spam - thank you for your concerns.  If you consider this information spam - please feel free to 'report abuse' - in the forums we don't want spam. Again, thank you for your concern, and attention.

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:13 PM
  •  Tranquil PC wrote:

SME

Hi - this is powerful and useful information - not spam - thank you for your concerns.  If you consider this information spam - please feel free to 'report abuse' - in the forums we don't want spam. Again, thank you for your concern, and attention.

Believe me, I have. Big Smile

EDIT:
    Additionally, while useful, I doubt the mods will allow you to turn teh forums in to your public advertisig campaign of choice. The Term of Use (linked at the bottom of the forums) agree:

http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx

Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services obtained from the Services.

Use the Communication Services in connection with surveys, contests, pyramid schemes, chain letters, junk email, spamming or any duplicative or unsolicited messages (commercial or otherwise).

Advertise or offer to sell or buy any goods or services for any business purpose, unless such Communication Services specifically allows such messages.

Hope that helps...

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:14 PM
  • Tranquil PC, please stay on topic.  The question was reguarding building his own Windows Home Server and not about buying a Windows Home Server.

SME - Please just click the report abuse button.

Please end discussion and stay on topic.

Monday, August 6, 2007 11:18 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Streaming (especially multiple simultaneous streams) stresses every part of the server, really. You'll need multiple fast drives, so that hopefully not all the streams will be coming off the same disk, a good CPU to process the streams, and a fast network connection to deliver them.

I've seen reports that WHS doesn't transcode the streams so it wouldn't be CPU or memory intensive. The bottleneck would be the hard disk drive.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 5:50 AM
  • Here is the part that applies to our discusion.

"The only other bottleneck - the use of 10/100 rather than Gigabit Ethernet - isn't a real-world issue, either. We ran three simultaneous 720p HD video streams to different clients (plus a stream of music for good measure), and were pleased that everything continued running without any issues."

Perhaps if cut and paste were used Henrik could have had his answer sooner.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:36 PM
  •  

I use a 10/100 and recorded two simultaneous HDTV (House and 24) to WHS from MCE PC I had no problems with bottleneck, worked great.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:55 PM
  • The only time I've seen any problems when streaming back from the server, was with a cheap 'no-name' switch. It was happy with 1 HD video stream and a couple of MP3/WAV streams. Adding another HD stream led to problems where it seems the switch just couldn't buffer the incoming streams and switch them without losses. Changing to a recognised switch - unmanaged - and all the problems disappeared.

Colin

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Streaming multiple HD streams at once should be pretty easy actually.  I've done it with my system, and here are some numbers that might help.

Streaming:

A broadcast HD stream uses around ~9GB per hr of disk space.  DVD uses around 2-3GB per hr.

The actual network usage coincides nicely with the bitrate of the video material.  

HD material is broadcast at around 19Mbps. On a 100Mbps home network it uses that same figure - 19Mbps.

DVD material will use much less than that.

So on a working 100Mbps network you can easily stream multiple HD streams.  On Gigabit you can stream a lot more.

Hard Drives - Disk Transfer:

Using the same math, you can work out your disk read and transfer rates.

For HD streams at ~9GB per hr you have = 153MB per minute = 2.56MB per second.    

For 2-3 GB per hour on DVD you'll have = 51.2MB per minute = 0.85MB per second.

The average HDD these days has a worse case read speed of around 40MB per second. 

If you were just reading data, even one disk would be fine for multiple streams. 

Hard Drives - Access:

Reading from a drive is one thing.  Writing to a drive and trying to read at the same time will half your rates. Multiple people saving, updating, reading at once can become problematic.  If you are going to do as you say - multiple HD streams, MP3, backups and other things all at once you'll need a few disks.  Even though WHS places files here and there, it will balance out nicely the more disks you add.  

If I was designing your system, I'd put a disk in for each use that you have.  Two XBox 360's = 2 disks. One for streaming audio and your wife = 1 disk.  If you have a PVR writing/uploading files to the WHS shares I'd add another disk for that as well, maybe two.     

Monday, August 13, 2007 4:34 AM