none
Win 7 64 Bit Power Pack 3 "Home Server Connector" & "Windows Home Server Toolkit" Installation Fails. Event 1794. RRS feed

• Question

• ·         I Have Win Home Server PP3, Win 7 64 Pro. Had no issues with Home Server Connector (pp2) or WHS until now. After the PP3 upgrade my Windows Media Center would not work on Win7 box. Traced it down to "Windows Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service" on win 7 box. disabling this allows WMC to run on Win7 but then i couldn't install the pp3 version of "Windows Media Center Connector" software on Win7. Re-enabled the service above and WMC won't run again.

·         Uninstalled Windows Home Server connector from all nodes (as suggested by multiple people) and it reinstalled succesfully on 2win xp machines but not the Win 7 64bit. The 2 xp machines connector software works fine. On win 7 Installation fails when "cleaning up backup files". Event viewer shows the following (see below). Network is fine, i can access the WHS from Win7 via network. I've uninstalled media player, media center, turned off security essentials, killed about every process and service possible and still no luck.

·         after full uninstall and failed and trying to reinstall I see "Windows Home Server Connector is already installed on this computer. Setup will uninstall and then reinstall the Windows Home Server Connector software. Do you want to proceed?" . I say yes

·         Windows removes, starts to reinstall, all looks well. this is past the parts of verifying install, updating registry, starting services. Then I get this note when the install is saying "cleaning up backup files". "Installation Did Not Finish. An error occurred that prevent the Windows Home Server Connector from completing succesfully. Run this wizard again to install the Windows Home Server connector." while trying to install both "Windows Home Server Connector" and "Windows Home Server Toolkit". I obviously tried rerunning it dozens of times.

·         below event log seems to coincide with issue

Log Name:      Application

Source:        HomeServer

Date:          12/16/2009 7:57:15 AM

Event ID:      1794

Task Category: (7)

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      QUAD

Description:

The description for Event ID 1794 from source HomeServer cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="HomeServer" />

<EventID Qualifiers="36863">1794</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>7</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-12-16T13:57:15.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>8758</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>QUAD</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

</EventData>

</Event>

·         After this both "Windows Home Server Connector" and "Windows Home Server Toolkit" appear in my uninstall programs list but neither of them function. 

·         I have tried this again and again while disabling services i thought may conflict with no help.

·         I also ran a registry fixer and tried again with still no luck. 

·         I've also uninstalled all kinds of software to try to reduce conflicts, again no luck.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:09 PM

Answers

• I tried many other things and nothing worked. I even tried a repair of the OS and had no luck.

At that point I was so fed up I decided to format and do a complete rebuild reinstall of the OS. Finally everything seems to be working. Except now i have an issue activating Windows, HOPEFULLY a call to MS will resolve the issue.

The original install was an upgrade from Vista 64 Ultimate and I had no issues until the one described above. It's a bit disheartening to see that it had to come to this to fix it.

I guess the lesson learned is be wary of upgrade installs of Win7 and WHS PP3.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 2:21 AM

All replies

• I tried many other things and nothing worked. I even tried a repair of the OS and had no luck.

At that point I was so fed up I decided to format and do a complete rebuild reinstall of the OS. Finally everything seems to be working. Except now i have an issue activating Windows, HOPEFULLY a call to MS will resolve the issue.

The original install was an upgrade from Vista 64 Ultimate and I had no issues until the one described above. It's a bit disheartening to see that it had to come to this to fix it.

I guess the lesson learned is be wary of upgrade installs of Win7 and WHS PP3.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 2:21 AM
  • I just wanted you to know that you're not alone.  I have the 64 bit Win7 and PP3 and have the same problem.  I'm now backing up to USB drives until someone has a fix!

Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:05 AM
  • It's very timely that you posted this. After my reinstall everything was working beautifully. I went to use Media center last night and found out it's not working again (acting the same way when i first found the issues before). I know for a fact it was working sometime last week. What is strange is that the home server console is still working, but im not seeing my home server shares in my libraries (this is different from before). In that time frame I've installed Audible download manager, did a Zune DRM fix and installed the new Zune software, and installed Ribbon Hero for office. It was either one of those things or Microsoft security updates that came out recently that did it. I will be trying uninstalls and rollbacks and hopefully get it to work.

Have you done any of the above recently? Maybe we can track down the culprit.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:51 PM
  • well heres an update. I did unisntall Audible, didn't help. I started trying to do system restores to times where i knew media center was still working, no luck. I tried about a dozen different restore points and every one of them failed. It was giving me some weird registry error, saying it couldn't mount the registry. So i started thinking one of these programs screwed the registry. So i looked and happened to have a registry backup from mid January. I thought I'd give it a try rather than reinstall windows again even if it had side effects. So i pulled that in and boom, things start working again and as far as I can tell there are no side effects. So something in the past few weeks (Audible download manager, Zune DRM fix, new Zune software,  Ribbon Hero, or Security essential or Windows updates) corrupted the registry. First thing i did after realizing things looked good was create a system image on my home server. So hopefully i dont get caught again. I'm also gonna start taking monthly registry backups just in case. Something in MS land is not working well together, and I hope to ____ the figure it out.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:10 PM
  • I've been on the road for the plst month and will continue testing nest week.  BTW I'm using iTunes so I think that would rule out Zune.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:06 AM
  • I wish Micosoft would just exit the home serve busines...

You make products that suck time and energy and leave me feeling like I wasted my time.

you promise so much and deliver so little.   its so painful to deal with your products.

Trying to connect Win 7 64 bit PCto a whs v1 with SP3....   cant connect.

download the 32/64 bit disc... still not good.

Download the tool kit and that tells you nothing more than the error code you get with out it.

Everything from LIVE to Home server to Mesh... just a collection of rube goldberg connections.

its to bad really.  the conecpt is good... but the effort is not.

Support for your product is a buch of blogs written by people who have know more of an idea than I do...   you search and more search to find some guy who claims he kowns something but it does not work in your environment because you dont have the same color monitor or W/E.

I am so fed up with your shit...   your upgrades fix one issue and break 3 others. 

dropbox here I come... fuck WHS. .

I am fed up trying to find solutions to microsoft products.   I am no longer interested in trying to figure out how somethng works evertime I want something to work.

Saturday, December 17, 2011 5:14 AM