none
Need to find guidance for creating "packages" for use in other projects

Question

• Hello,

VS2013 update 3, VB

I have spent some time now creating parts and pieces for an MVC website.  I would like to learn how to "package" these functionalities so they can simply be included in any given MVC website without importing all the controller, model, and view code, etc.  It may be that this is not possible, but that's why I'm asking the question.

Although I'm currently working with a website project, I'm assuming the concept I'm asking about might apply to other VS projects such as Windows Forms, etc.

I called these functionalities "packages" because I'm not sure what the community accepted terminology might be.

1) Please confirm what the community calls this process or technique.  Not being sure of what it's called, I wasn't sure how to search for it.

2) Please confirm the idea of "packages" is in fact a technique that can be used with various VS projects

3) Can someone provide some good starting points to learn how to "package" the relevant parts of a project so they can be used elsewhere.  Should I use a book, or a website tutorial?

I know this is a common practice, I've just never done it nor have any familiarity with how to go about doing it.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Alan

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Alan,

Thanks for your friendly response.

Actually this forum is to discuss:

Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

So I'm afraid that it is not the correct forum for this issue, since it is related to the MVC or winform apps, my suggestion is that you could post this issue to the ASP.NET forum or the Winform forum for better response. 

http://forums.asp.net/

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winforms

To help you find a better forum, I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Alan,

Maybe you could share us more informaiton about the "packages" you want to create, do you mean that you want to create a setup project?

If so, maybe this thread would be helpful for you here:

http://forums.asp.net/t/2034302.aspx?webs+setup+project+in+vs2013

Or you want to create the Clickonce project:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4275ab32-5cd9-4e6d-95ec-d50b0d4c9836/integrate-clickonce-update-in-a-setup-project?forum=winformssetup

If I have misunderstood this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for your response.

I will soon be bringing a website online to conduct some market research.  My search for open source or commercial packages didn't lead me to the precise solution I was looking for so I just wrote some very targeted functionality to accomplish my relatively simple needs.  I will likely do this with other functionalities in the future.  It is these functionalities that I am referring to as "packages".  Here are some examples to further explain.

I wanted to be able to conduct online questionnaires in a particular way, so I created an MVC project and coded up my solution.  I wanted to be able to host an online discussion in a particular way, so I created yet a different MVC project and coded up my solution.  So now I have these 2 solutions as models with their controllers and views and they meet my needs.  Now I want to be able to integrate these solutions into a primary website.  But in the future I may want to integrate these same solutions into other websites.  So I would like to make these solutions, the questionnaire and the discussion board, into "packages" that I can quickly integrate into any website I create.

That's what I mean by "packages".

I could simply copy the files for the models, controllers and views into any particular website project, but I presume there are other better ways to do this.  Are these type of solutions something I can convert into a composite file(s) that is included as part of a project compile, or am I supposed to make reference to these packages as separate projects within my development environment?  Although what I'm doing is a little different than ELMAH, ELMAH is an example of a functionality that is easily integrated into a project, but not as code, just as composited files.  And if we need to, we could easily upgrade our ELMAH implementation with an upgraded package.  On the other hand I recall studying in books on Visual Studio that we can make reference to other projects when we are building our present project.  I just don't have the experience to know how to do this yet and why I would choose one methodology over another.  Especially in a way that allows me to upgrade the "packages" and distribute those upgrades easily to the websites where I have integrated them.

Now in the discussion above I have used the example of website projects, but my question also applies to other VS projects such as windows forms, etc.

That's what I want to learn how to do according to Microsoft best practice.  Please advise if I need to add more explanation.

And thanks again for your help.

Best Regards,

Alan

• Edited by Alan Wheeler Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:14 PM added link
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:05 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks for your friendly response.

Actually this forum is to discuss:

Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

So I'm afraid that it is not the correct forum for this issue, since it is related to the MVC or winform apps, my suggestion is that you could post this issue to the ASP.NET forum or the Winform forum for better response. 

http://forums.asp.net/

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winforms

To help you find a better forum, I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:53 AM
  • Thanks for moving.  I was a little confused because I thought I posted in:

Visual Studio Development > Visual Studio General Questions

I must have been mistaken or not understood the hierarchy correctly. 

Anyway, I'll wait for someone to reach out and help with this.

Best Regards,

Alan

Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:57 PM
  • Hello, Alan,

You really need to ask on http://forums.asp.net/ instead of waiting here for a response :)

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, February 26, 2015 6:24 PM