Is Internet connection required occasionally to maintan Windows 7 genuine status? RRS feed

• Question

• If you install Windows 7 and it is working fine (and get some updates) then disconnect it from the Internet, will Windows 7 keep working forever or will it die after a certain time?  I want to use a Windows 7 (Ultimate) pc that will be connected to a piece of industrial equipment.  As such, once it is connected to the equipment, it should not be connected to the Internet again.  So, the crux of the question is:

Is occasional Internet Connection required to keep Windows 7 working or will it die because it has to send or receive info to Microsoft?

Sunday, December 26, 2010 6:05 PM

Answers

• If you install Windows 7 and it is working fine (and get some updates) then disconnect it from the Internet, will Windows 7 keep working forever or will it die after a certain time?  I want to use a Windows 7 (Ultimate) pc that will be connected to a piece of industrial equipment.  As such, once it is connected to the equipment, it should not be connected to the Internet again.  So, the crux of the question is:

Is occasional Internet Connection required to keep Windows 7 working or will it die because it has to send or receive info to Microsoft?

As far as I am aware, at no time is any network connection essential to the Activation status, unless using Volume License products. You can, if you like, for retail and OEM System Builder products, conduct the initial activation using telephone activation, rather than the internet. OEM_SLP installs are self-activating and require no internet connection.

Validation is another matter - that is always conducted over the internet - but in a stable environment such as you indicate, there is almost certainly no need for validation ever to take place.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:10 AM
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Noel is correct, a network connection is not required for Activation nor is it a requirement for Windows to be considered Genuine.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Leed3 Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:12 AM

All replies

As far as I am aware, at no time is any network connection essential to the Activation status, unless using Volume License products. You can, if you like, for retail and OEM System Builder products, conduct the initial activation using telephone activation, rather than the internet. OEM_SLP installs are self-activating and require no internet connection.

Validation is another matter - that is always conducted over the internet - but in a stable environment such as you indicate, there is almost certainly no need for validation ever to take place.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:10 AM
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Noel is correct, a network connection is not required for Activation nor is it a requirement for Windows to be considered Genuine.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Leed3 Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:12 AM