none
Need some help with Synctoy 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I built a external hard drive with 2  1TB Seagate HHD's I would like to use it for backup only and want to use Synctoy to do the back up but when I read the instructions it's a bit confusing.  All I want done is to select the folders from my computer to backup to my external HHD and I would like only the files that have either changed or were added to the folders to be copied over to my external HHD.

When I read the instructions is says things about renaming files both ways.   I don't want anything renamed I want any files that have been changed overwritten and any new files just copied over.

What is the best way to do this with Synctoy ?  I don't want anything to go from my external to my computer only my computer to my external.

Thanks
    Monday, October 12, 2009 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi -

You can install SyncToy and look at the help file which tells you have to set up a folder pair between your computer and external HDD. Look at the three options available - Contribute looks like the one you want. It is a one way sync from your computer to your external. No deletions made on the computer will result in a deletion on the external but any renames done ( it is a modification to the file after all) will result in a rename of the file on the external. All new files / and stream updates/attribute changes on files on the computer will flow to the external.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, October 12, 2009 10:14 PM