none
Product Key Invalid RRS feed

• Question

• If I have lost the reinstall discs for a laptop with windows xp home edition what kind of cd would I need to install windows and use the product key on the bottom of the laptop? I don't know if it is a OEM or Retail, or even if it matters. The laptop was purchased from BestBuy in 2003, so I am assuming it is no longer under warranty. I have tried a retail disc that I have borrowed from my grandmother who had bought XP home SP1 for her computer. But when I enter the product key into the activate windows program, it says that it is invailid.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Tuesday, July 7, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Hello rndteenager,

That's right, you will get an error when trying to install and/or activate a retail installation of XP with an OEM Product Key.

Your best option is to order a set of replacement Recovery discs from the laptop's manufacturer.  Go to the laptop's exact model page at the support site of the computer manufacturer to see if the discs are available for order.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Thanks so much, I never though of that. And time is not an issue, so thanks for the response.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:55 AM