CRM2011 - Using workflow to dynamically change ownership of a new record to that of the parent entity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks

I am in the process of setting up Team Security for a customer running CRM 2011.  I was hoping to use workflow to dynamically assign ownership of my contact related entity records to the Team that owns the parent contact record.  Workflow recognises the link between my custom entity and the contact record but does not offer me an option to select the parent contact’s owner.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

David

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:18 PM

All replies

• Are you looking for the correct name of the field in this list? I often make mistakes like that because I'm looking for "owner" and I changed the field name to something else.

Otherwise it could just be that the system won't let you do what you are trying to do. But you could achieve this by creating a pretty simple plugin to update assign the records based off the parent record.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:34 PM
  • It doesn't give me any fields for the contact record and if I try to update the record rather than re-assign it then the owner field is disabled even though I have it enabled for input on the sub-entity form.

Unfortunately my skills do not extend to writing plug-ins but if anyone out there has some code that will do this that they are prepared to share I would be very grateful.  I have about 20 entities (which will probably grow) and currently 5 teams (which could also grow) so it is impractical to hard code the workflow.

Thanks

David

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:50 PM