none
File transfer changes between XP and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VB6 project that has been used on XP successfully for years, but now on Win 7 I am getting timeout errors.

Here is a brief scenario:

-I have a server which drops a Zebra label buffer into a shared folder on the server (basically a text file)
    -My Client code grabs that file using FSO and manipulates it (adds lines to the print buffer)
    -My Client is located in other states so the connection is a VPN connection
    -My Client then send that buffer to the printer (via code)

It has worked great for years on XP, but each time they replace the client with a Windows 7 box my 'transfer' from server to client speed drops dramatically (in code I am looping through to see if the file exists, at which time I do the manipulation on it). It can take 45-60 seconds now where before it was less than a second.

Is there some setting on Win 7 I need to change to keep my old speed up?
    Here is another interesting piece to this puzzle. If the client opens the mapped folder to watch the files move through, the transfer speed will increase. Close Windows explorer and the speed is slow again. Not exactly an elegant work-around for my customer. I have to stay on VB6, by the way. Thanks

• Moved by Carl Cai Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:10 AM vb6 is not supported
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum named "Where to post your VB 6 questions".

VB6 is not supported in this forum.

Armin

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum named "Where to post your VB 6 questions".

VB6 is not supported in this forum.

Armin

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:08 PM
  • Thanks, I will look for another forum. It's not really a VB6 question - its a Windows 7 question. Was hoping someone in this forum might have hit the same problem with Win 7.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for visiting the MSDN forum.

There is a lots of things that can slow down your application, just like this similar issue in this link.

There is a solution shared in this link, if possible, you could have a try.

And since your application is a vb6 project, I’m afraid that it is not the correct forum, you could refer to this link .

You could consider posting this issue in these forums below.

These forums do not support Visual Basic 6, however there are many third-party support sites that do. If you have a VB6-related question please visit these popular forums:

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:33 AM