Is there a way to deturmine the 'type' of a product key? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a product key for Windows 7 but I don't know what type of key it is . For example, I am pretty sure it is not OEM but want to know if it is MSDN or Retail. Is there any way to do this? I can't find whatever documentation/media came with *or didn't come with* this key.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• The only way to determine the type of Windows 7 product key you have is to contact Microsoft directly and ask them.  Please see:  How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Ash243x Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:29 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:21 AM
  • ok, thanks this is what i expected - but since it is well past business hours I will just have to wait until tomorrow then.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Hello Ash243x,

If you tell us how you acquired the key that information would most likely tell us what kind of key it is.

If you tell us you purchased an MSDN subscription then that would tell us it's most likely an MSDN key.

If you tell us that you purchased a full packaged retail product, then that would tell us it's most likely a retal key.

It seems counterintuitive to think that a person who is in possession of a product key that they spent good money to purchase would not know how they came to be in possession of it.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:25 AM