removing compute capability on head node -- now we can't bring back "online"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi -- In the installation of HPC Pack RC1, the head node apparently comes up as a Compute node as well. Ok, fine. seems a little odd that this is the default, but okay.

We wanted to change this to being only a head node. We tried to change its status and the warning told us that it had to be offline first. Ok, not a problem. So we took the head node offline via the admin console (Node Management), went back to Configuration on the admin console, clicked on Node Management --> "Change the role of the head node", made it "head node only". So far so good. Now we go back to the Node management and we can't bring it back "online"? (the "Bring Online" is greyed-out). This seems odd to us -- can only compute nodes be "offline" and "online"? Is the head node "always online"?

thanks,
    Marty

Monday, July 21, 2008 7:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

thanks very much for the detailed response (and quick!!!). I understand your logic, and it's reasonable. That said, I'm happy to hear that "fix" is coming! Better to remove this potential confusion.

thanks again!!
    Marty
    • Proposed as answer by Ryan Waite Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marty Humphrey Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hey Marty,

Thank you for your post. Several people have commented that it's odd that the head node appears "offline" when the Compute Node role is removed from the Head Node. The "online/offline" state was defined to refer to Broker nodes or Compute nodes. When running without those roles on the Head Node we default to the "offline" state. Of course, it wouldn't be a stretch for someone to assume that the "online/offline" state on a Head Node might refer to the state of the head node services for management and scheduling, not to the Compute Node or Broker Node state.

That's the long story. The short story is that we'll have a fix for RC2. Sorry for the confusion in the UI.

ryan
    Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

thanks very much for the detailed response (and quick!!!). I understand your logic, and it's reasonable. That said, I'm happy to hear that "fix" is coming! Better to remove this potential confusion.

thanks again!!
    Marty
    • Proposed as answer by Ryan Waite Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marty Humphrey Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:38 PM