DNS Ressouces for OCS Edge Server RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

the deployment guide says that I need the following DNS entries:

1.       _sipinternaltls._tcp.domain.de - for internal TLS connections

2.       _sipinternal._tcp.domain.de - for internal TCP connections (performed only if TCP is allowed)

3.       _sip._tls.domain.de - for external TLS connections

4.       _sip._tcp.domain.de - for external TCP connections

I have an OCS Edge Server with 3 Public IPs on on eth0 (external) and one private IP on the other eth1 (internal)

Does the points 1. and 2. mean that I have to create a SRV Record for _sipinternaltls._tcp.domain.de and _sipinternal._tcp.domain.de that points to the internal Interface/private IP of my Edge Server?

Thanks

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:51 PM

All replies

•  

That isn't really what teh deployment guide says.  You need to 1, possible 2, DNS entries.

1) I prefer _sip._tls.sipdomain for my auto config to the access edge.

2) You will need the _sipferderationtls._tcp.sipdomain for federation (if you are federating)

You will also need A records to each of the 3 edge roles.  Communicator and Live Meeting search through different SRV records until it finds one that works.  You don't have to do all 4 of the above.  In fact, it will cuase more issues if you do.

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Hi,

Internal connections go directly to Front End, internal OCS server, not to Edge server. Create the 1st one (plus second one if you plan to allow unsecured connections, not recommanded) in your internal dns, to port 5061 of the Front End.

For external, direct it to the port 443 of the Access Edge.

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:52 PM
  • So if I add the following to my external DNS, I should be OK?

A record:   sip.domain.com           209.12.xxx.xxx
    SVR record: _sip._tls.domain.com     209.12.xxx.xxx

We are not federating. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:04 PM
  • You have the names correct, but the SRV record will actually point to your A record (not an IP address), so it would look more like:

SRV record:  _sip._tls.domain.com    sip.domain.com

A record:    sip.domain.com          209.12.xxx.xxx

You'll also need A records for the A/V Edge and Web Conferecing Edge roles, if they are being deployed.  The above records would be sufficient for an Access Edge-only deployment.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Thanks Jeff!!!
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:41 PM