Product key compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Recently my computer died causing me to purchase another computer.

The previous computer was a second hand computer with windows vista ultimate 64 bit installed. As it was installed already, I read no statement to say that the license was restricted to this and was unaware that the previous product key would not work with the new system. As I was unaware of this at the time, the people who built the new computer installed a test version of windows ultimate 64 bit.

For obvious reasons when I attempted to type in the product key of the previous computer, it didn't work

So currently I am left without a product key but with a installed version of windows 64 ultimate.

As I have a limited amount of money at the moment, I found that my only solution is to purchase a student edition of windows vista. However, there are several issues with this. Firstly, windows vista ultimate 64 bit is already installed and the student edition is windows business (or something to that effect) 32 bit, meaning the product key probably wouldn't work if I were to buy it.

To fix this problem, I need answers to several questions.

Is there a way to change the version of vista from ultimate to business without reformatting?

Will the vista business product key work with ultimate, but alter the functionality of vista to be equal to that of vista business?

Will I be able to keep the 64 bit install with the new product key without having to send off the disc?

Edit: Will I be able to install the previous hard drive on to the new computer and run vista off of that?

Edit: As this would be the 6th windows vista license that this household has had (due to hardware damage), is there anyway to recover the licenses of previous oem licenses and use it in the new machine (buying 6 copies of the same thing due to some fine print is getting a bit ridiculous)
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:36 AM

Answers

• Q. Is there a way to change the version of vista from ultimate to business without reformatting?

A. No.

Q. Will the vista business product key work with ultimate?

A. No.

Q. Will I be able to keep the 64 bit install with the new product key without having to send off the disc?

A. Send off the disc to where?  Please be clear and specific.

Q. Will I be able to install the previous hard drive on to the new computer and run vista off off that?

A. No.

Q. Is there anyway to recover the licenses of previous oem licenses and use it in the new machine?

A. OEM versions of Windows operating systems are non-transferrable to a different computer.

The solution to your issue is to purchase a new Windows Vista license, reformat the hard drive and install.

Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:40 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Hello Yedrellow,

If you find yourself in a situation where you want the flexibility to move Windows licenses from one computer to another, you would want to purchase a full retail license, one that has wording to the effect, "For PC without operating systems" on the nice pretty retail package.

Full retail licenses are the only Windows license that can be moved from one computer to another without any hardware or software restrictions.  Of couse as with ALL Windows licenses, any one license can be installed and activated only once on any given device at any given time.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:22 PM

All replies

• Q. Is there a way to change the version of vista from ultimate to business without reformatting?

A. No.

Q. Will the vista business product key work with ultimate?

A. No.

Q. Will I be able to keep the 64 bit install with the new product key without having to send off the disc?

A. Send off the disc to where?  Please be clear and specific.

Q. Will I be able to install the previous hard drive on to the new computer and run vista off off that?

A. No.

Q. Is there anyway to recover the licenses of previous oem licenses and use it in the new machine?

A. OEM versions of Windows operating systems are non-transferrable to a different computer.

The solution to your issue is to purchase a new Windows Vista license, reformat the hard drive and install.

Carey Frisch
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Hello Yedrellow,

If you find yourself in a situation where you want the flexibility to move Windows licenses from one computer to another, you would want to purchase a full retail license, one that has wording to the effect, "For PC without operating systems" on the nice pretty retail package.

Full retail licenses are the only Windows license that can be moved from one computer to another without any hardware or software restrictions.  Of couse as with ALL Windows licenses, any one license can be installed and activated only once on any given device at any given time.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:22 PM