Swapping PCs under Licence RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 3 user licence for Windows 7 Home Premium and I wish to change one of the licences from one of the desktop computers to a laptop.

How can I do this?

Sunday, August 21, 2011 9:19 AM

Answers

• "Saltburner" wrote in message news:bce939aa-c1ca-4d5c-b843-f9889c758e65...

I have a 3 user licence for Windows 7 Home Premium and I wish to change one of the licences from one of the desktop computers to a laptop.

How can I do this?

Note first that The ONLY 3-pack license is  the Family-pack Home Premium license and they are Upgrades, so your laptop will require a qualifying previous version of Windows installed and activated.

First to satisfy the licensing requirements, you must uninstall the copy from the desktop – either by reformatting the disk, or reverting back to the original installed OS.

Then simply install the OS as an upgrade by booting to the old OS and then running the installation from within the existing Windows.
    You will then need to activate by telephone and explain to the operator what you’ve done.
    telephone activation
    Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    SLUI 4
    and hit the Enter key
    follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Saltburner Monday, August 22, 2011 7:40 AM
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:15 AM