Transfer Windows 7 Home Premium License To New PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I bought (pre-ordered) an original copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit from Amazon.com which I'm currently using on this PC. I plan to get a new PC in a few months and I'm wondering how to transfer this license to the new PC. I will be uninstalling Windows 7 from this PC and do a re-install on the new PC. I'm worried about activating again on the new PC and losing access to my PC. Please let me know.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hello TUSHAR451,

Not specifically a WGA question but a short and quick answer so no harm, no foul :-)

If your current license is a full retail license, you should not encounter any issues as you are permitted by the licensing terms to move the license from one computer to another.

If an upgrade retail license, it's problematic unless you install and activate a license for a previous upgradeable version of Windows.  To properly use an upgrade you have to first have something installed that can be upgraded.

If an OEM license, nope, the licensing terms do not permit moving the license to any other computer---OEM licenses are permanently tied to the computer onto which they are first installed and are not permitted to be moved to any other computer.

You can look up the Licensing Terms for lots of Microsof products here:  http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:22 PM

All replies

• worst case you will need to do a phone activation.

--

mikeyshd

Hello, I bought (pre-ordered) an original copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit from Amazon.com which I'm currently using on this PC. I plan to get a new PC in a few months and I'm wondering how to transfer this license to the new PC. I will be uninstalling Windows 7 from this PC and do a re-install on the new PC. I'm worried about activating again on the new PC and losing access to my PC. Please let me know.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Hello TUSHAR451,

Not specifically a WGA question but a short and quick answer so no harm, no foul :-)

If your current license is a full retail license, you should not encounter any issues as you are permitted by the licensing terms to move the license from one computer to another.

If an upgrade retail license, it's problematic unless you install and activate a license for a previous upgradeable version of Windows.  To properly use an upgrade you have to first have something installed that can be upgraded.

If an OEM license, nope, the licensing terms do not permit moving the license to any other computer---OEM licenses are permanently tied to the computer onto which they are first installed and are not permitted to be moved to any other computer.

You can look up the Licensing Terms for lots of Microsof products here:  http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:22 PM
  • I take it your copy is a boxed (retail) copy.  Retail copies are transferrable to another computer by simply installing on the new computer and activating.  Phone activation may or may not be required but that is not a problem.  It goes without saying that you also need to restore the original version of Windows to the old computer if the old computer will be continued in use.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:37 PM
    Answerer