none
MCAD, MCSD or MCPD in the UK? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I've been working with C# and related Microsoft technologies for about four years. I've been thinking of getting a certification. 

I've noticed that the average salary of an MCPD in the UK is about £35,750 but an MCAD or MCSD is about £40,000. This doesn't make sense to me because the MCPD is a more current qualification. Is this pay discrepancy just because it is relatively new? I'm a lot more familiar with the contents of the MCAD/MCSD qualifications but I don't want to train up and then find that the average salary decreases as the certification becomes outdated. I've got a few questions: 

Will the MCAD/MCSD certifications be retired any time soon? 

Is there a way to upgrade from a MCAD to a MCPD? 

I'm interested in the Web side of the MCPD. Is it possible that the average salary is getting dragged down by the WinForms and Azure MCPDs? Is there any data on average salaries that accounts for this? 

What would you recommend? I'm not that knowledgeable on all of the new features in framework 4 and this is my first Microsoft cert and I don't want to get put off if it turns out to be extremly hard.

Thanks, 

Joe

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:44 AM

Answers

• MCAD and MCSD certifications expired on 30 June 2011.  This means that you will not be able to build on these certifications as all the exams no longer exist.

Here is the upgrade exam from MCAD to MCPD Web Developer http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-551

I've noticed that the average salary of an MCPD in the UK is about £35,750 but an MCAD or MCSD is about £40,000.

How did you determine this?

This doesn't make sense to me because the MCPD is a more current qualification.

A lot of people haven't migrated to the new technologies therefore the number of positions being filled would drive up the average salary of MCAD/MCSD.

Is this pay discrepancy just because it is relatively new?

MCPD has been around for at least 3-4yrs so I wouldn't class it as being relatively new.

Is it possible that the average salary is getting dragged down by the WinForms and Azure MCPDs?

I very much doubt it as the certifications target different technologies.

Is there any data on average salaries that accounts for this?

Average salary data varies from country to country.  You would need to contact contractor/employment agencies in the U.K. to dertermine this.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by JoeShearn Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:22 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:38 AM

All replies

• MCAD and MCSD certifications expired on 30 June 2011.  This means that you will not be able to build on these certifications as all the exams no longer exist.

Here is the upgrade exam from MCAD to MCPD Web Developer http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-551

I've noticed that the average salary of an MCPD in the UK is about £35,750 but an MCAD or MCSD is about £40,000.

How did you determine this?

This doesn't make sense to me because the MCPD is a more current qualification.

A lot of people haven't migrated to the new technologies therefore the number of positions being filled would drive up the average salary of MCAD/MCSD.

Is this pay discrepancy just because it is relatively new?

MCPD has been around for at least 3-4yrs so I wouldn't class it as being relatively new.

Is it possible that the average salary is getting dragged down by the WinForms and Azure MCPDs?

I very much doubt it as the certifications target different technologies.

Is there any data on average salaries that accounts for this?

Average salary data varies from country to country.  You would need to contact contractor/employment agencies in the U.K. to dertermine this.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by JoeShearn Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:22 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 4:38 AM
  • I've noticed that the average salary of an MCPD in the UK is about £35,750 but an MCAD or MCSD is about £40,000. This doesn't make sense to me because the MCPD is a more current qualification.

I am going to make a guess as to why this may be happening:

MCAD/MCSD are older certifications. This means that developers having these certifications started working some years before MCPDs. Those additional years of experience can easily make a difference in salary, especially if we take into account that these people probably found their jobs before the current economic crisis and therefore at a time when salaries were larger on average.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Ah, Thanks for all of the answers. I'm starting my training for my MCPD as soon as my book arrives!

Joe

Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:21 AM