Boot.ini RRS feed

• Question

• My understanding of a server reinstallation is that this will put the OS back to whatever drive is listed as disk 0.     When I originally built my WHS box I did not have an extra Sata controller in the tower and my OS drive was plugged directly into the MB the same as it is now.    When I look at Disk Management of the server it reads that my OS drive is disk 4.   Disk 0 is one of the data drive hanging off of the PCI sata controller I added at a later date.       Now my thought would be to power down the machine and swap these connections which would force the OS drive to drive 0, but it is not clear to me how I would edit the boot.ini file so the server still boots.     I am pretty technical but I have never been able to wrap my head around the boot.ini file.    Any assistance or thoughts would be appreciated.    I currently do not need to perform a server reinstall, but I like to be prepared.     

My other thought is to leave the system as it is, and if I ever need to do a server reinstall simply make the drive swap before reinstalling WHS??

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect

Thanks
    IMPALER

Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:41 PM

Answers

• The posted boot.ini code tells me this: If you need to replace the system disk, put the new one in exactly the way the old one is connected. It should all work just fine, as the BIOS will (usually, unless configured otherwise) go to the on-board disk controllers first...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by fladtheimpaler Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:53 PM
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:44 PM

All replies

• The posted boot.ini code tells me this: If you need to replace the system disk, put the new one in exactly the way the old one is connected. It should all work just fine, as the BIOS will (usually, unless configured otherwise) go to the on-board disk controllers first...
    • Marked as answer by fladtheimpaler Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:53 PM
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Ah OK, I guess this is why the machine is booting just fine as is with the OS listed as Drive4.    Thanks Ken.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Ah OK, I guess this is why the machine is booting just fine as is with the OS listed as Drive4.    Thanks Ken.
    so ken,what is the definitive answer to this please? as the op said his SYSTEM is not '0' as it should be but disk4(mine is disk2).
    i thought it CRITICAL to have the system on DISK0(as flad said)in case of needing to re-install.
    i my case i have 4 sata connections on my mobo.is it simply the case(think not as i think i have tried this proposition....)that if i power down,and swap the system drive(disk2) with the drive now set as disk0 that this will cure the problem?as i say in parentheses i dont think this IS this case..
    if not then could you please advise as to exactly HOW to make my sytem become disk0?

good post
    cheers
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:55 PM
  • There is no definitieve answer; the answer for anyone is hardware-dependent.

I don't own the OPs hardware, or yours, so I can't give you a specific answer. I can tell you that the order disks appear in in the Windows Home Server console is not related to the order they're listed in the BIOS, and it's not related to the physical order of the ports on your motherboard. The order in the console is purely cosmetic.

The advice to make sure your system disk is connected to motherboard Port 0 is because, by default (i.e. no BIOS configuration changes) your motherboard will normally present that disk first as a potential boot device.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:54 AM