Remote Access & USR MaxG Router RRS feed

• Question

• I had remote access working ok but my LinkSys router crapped out on me. 

I am now using a USR MaxG 5461 router.  I tried running the Router Setup from WHS but that failed. 

I then tried to do this manually.  The router has a place to setup port forwarding but in that section they ask for a "WAN Port Range."  I am not familiar wtih this.  The Help file example showed WAN ports 1 - 5 so I used that range.   See http://www.usr.com/support/5461/5461-ug/firewall.html for the USR Help file on port forwarding. 

I used the 1 to 5 range but the LAN ports are still closed.  I also noticed that the WHS box does not show up on the Clients list of the router but I can surf and it does have an IP assigned by this router. 

Can anyone provide some guidance on how to open the ports on this router?

TIA

Walter

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This link show you how:
    http://www.usr.com/support/5461/5461-ug/firewall.html

My best.

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:00 PM
  • abobader

You posted the same link that contained the instructions that I did not understand.  What needs to go the the WAN ports boxes?  The screen shot in that help file showed 1 to 5.  I tried that and it did not work. 

Walter

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:58 PM
  •  Walter Wood wrote:

abobader

You posted the same link that contained the instructions that I did not understand. What needs to go the the WAN ports boxes? The screen shot in that help file showed 1 to 5. I tried that and it did not work.

Walter

Hi,

Ok, let me explain as I read from that link

Let add the 3 ports need it:

Protocol: leave it as TCP.

Wan ports : from 443 to 443 (as one example)
    Lan IP address: your whs ip (192.168.1.3 as example).
    Lan port: same as wan ports.

Add more for 80 and 4125 as above example

I am really not knowing how that router model work, but just guessing here tho, and hope that help.

My best.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Thanks,

I finally figured it out and got the ports forwarded. I am not sure why I did not see this before but I will blame the muscle relaxers I am taking for my back pain <g>. 

Unfortunately the forwarding is not going to the WHS box.  When I try to connect either using my Internet IP address or my livenode.com address I get my router's login screen and not WHS's.  The WHS box has a fixed internal IP address that worked fine with the Linksys OK.   I can ping the WHS box from my desktops and vice-versa so I know the IP is OK.  I have doubled checked and the ports are forwarded to the correct IP for WHS. 

Now what am I doing wrong?

Walter

Friday, July 6, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Thanks,

I finally figured it out and got the ports forwarded. I am not sure why I did not see this before but I will blame the muscle relaxers I am taking for my back pain <g>. 

Unfortunately the forwarding is not going to the WHS box.  When I try to connect either using my Internet IP address or my livenode.com address I see my router's login screen and not WHS's.  The WHS box has a fixed internal IP address that worked fine with the Linksys OK.   I can ping the WHS box from my desktops and vice-versa so I know the IP is OK.  I have doubled checked and the ports are forwarded to the correct IP for WHS. 

Now what am I doing wrong?

Walter

Friday, July 6, 2007 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

As I said, I did not use usr router, how about you remove the LAN IP from the above setup and try.

Also, here a site to look for these issue:

http://portforward.com/default.htm

Good luck and sorry if I did not give a help in this matters.

My best.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 9:12 PM